Loosing Burning Coolant 97' Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auggie1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I find no leaks, there is no excess white smoke at the tail pipe. It had a bad radiator cap, but it still looses coolant. I see no bubbles in the radiator, but if you drive a hour strait she looses a gallon of coolant. she runs good, no bad habits other than it wants to stall on idle, which tells me the injection pump may need rebuilt. Anything on these 97' stand out like head gaskets, cracked head or block ?

Thanks

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drop the oil, what does it look it? It's gotta be leaking somewhere...or burned...but you say there is no smoke to indicate such.

OP
OP
Auggie1956

Auggie1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
No foamy oil, and no vapors of any kind from the oil cap when the engine runs.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a shop stick a pressure gage where the coolant cap is. Being a diesel I bet you get instant pressure at the cap and it shouldn't build pressure until it starts getting hot.

They can do a leak down test also by applying pressure to the coolant system through the cap, it should hold the pressure. Any leak down and you probably have head gasket issues.