Loud sucking noise with codes and live data

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I have searched around and found a few threads that are kinda close to mine but not quite.

I have a loud sucking/hissing noise coming from what sounds like the intake manifold. It is throwing 2 codes. Both are for each o2 sensor showing high voltage. At idle they read 1.0v but while driving they bounce like they are supposed to.

I have a live data scanner had it hooked up. While driving my fuel trim is fine. bouncing between -3% and +4%.

When I come to a stop it will start to run rich my fuel trim will drop to -30% +. It will start to idle very rough almost stalling out.

So I have not done the Hughes manifold kit yet. I am wondering if this is because my manifold gasket has completely blown out.

Thoughts?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is there any difference in how the engine runs when it is cold vs when it's warm?

From what I've gathered, a telltale sign of faulty O2 sensors (primarily the upstream one) is that the engine will run fine when it is open-loop mode but then runs like crap when it switches to closed-loop mode.

Also, are you experiencing an overall loss of power? A plugged catalytic converter can cause some pretty nasty issues. Easy way to test this is to let the engine reach operating temperature, put the tranny in Park and give the engine gas and see if it will freely rev above 3,000 RPM.

The hissing sound MIGHT be the IAC opening further to try and keep the idle up in an engine that is about to stall.

OP
OP
T

Ted82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the cat is fine based off of the the scanner. The down stream 02 sensor is reading fine if the cat was bad I would expect to see problems.

I also suspected that so I hit the cat with a Infrared thermometer temps are good.

IAC you say. I guess it could be stuck or something

I don't really have any powerloss issues. It runs fine as long as I am driving. As soon as I stop I have to 2 foot it to keep it from stalling out.