Low End Torque Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Just starting having this issue with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 5.2. A few days ago I tried pulling out of my driveway (I exit at a slight incline) and it seemed that I needed to give it extra gas and it pulled out much more slowly than it's normal rate, almost like I had little to no torque or back pressure to get me going. Once I'm going from a stop it seems to run and accelerate completely normal, as if there's no issue. I also hear what sounds like air passing over a straw from the engine bay, only when I'm at a low/no speed and giving it gas to pick up. From my novice knowledge it seems like some kind of air leak, and I've also been told it can be the fuel filter. I'm a college student so I'm low on $$$ and don't want to take it in in case it's a simple issue. A few notes about the truck:

-No check engine light, idles normal, no difference in engine speed from the norm at any speed I'm driving.
-Trans was rebuilt two years ago, just had a service done with fluids replace not too long ago.
-For those who thing it may be an exhaust leak, perhaps but the cat and a whole new exhaust were installed just about 13 months ago after I had a blocked cat that really bogged my power down.

One note about when I'm trying to climb a steep hill at low speed: it wants to go up a steep hill at a low speed slowly (around 15) and the engine speed does not want to increase (for example it'll not want to go more than 2k even if I give it some gas). Have no problem accelerating or getting up hills at highway speeds (If I'm in 3/4th gear I can punch the pedal, kick it down to 2/3 and still accelerate as hard as ever before).

If anyone has had similar issues in the past I'd greatly appreciate it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well for starters, cats don't just clog. They clog because of contaminants. Most vehicles this is usually WELL after 200k+ miles and its simply normal oil burn from the crankcase ventilation system. However, these trucks, have an issue with blowing a seal on the bottom of the intake manifold and burning oil and much more than a normal rate. Fouls out cyl 8 spark plug often and clogs the cat.

It somewhat sounds like you may have another clogged cat (lack of power, lack of rpm rise). You can do a few things to kinda test it.
1. take a rubber mallet and bang on the cat when cold to kinda break up possible contaminants
2. pick up an oxygen sensor socket and remove the front oxygen sensor in the exhaust stream so exhaust has a place to escape.
If you notice any improvement from these 2 things either separately or together, bad cat.

If that's the case, you'll want to address the reason of the cat clogging, the intake plenum seal I mentioned. You can find a sticky thread of the issue at the top of the performance page