lucas stop leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Anybody used the Lucas engine oil stop leak? If so what kind of results? I've heard the most engine oil additives are bad but I've seen a lot of good reviews on the Lucas stop leak. Thanks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well...i read the thread title and already had a bad feeling....soooo....lol. No stop leak is ever good. They may fix am issue temporarily but end up doing much much more damage

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Anyone who gives a good review of stop leak either doesn't know very much, or wants to believe that nothing bad happened because they don't want to admit they got duped.

Stop leak will stop small leaks, and clog small passages and particulates will become embedded in the bearing material on your rods, crank, and cam.

In short, stop leak is like cutting off blood flow to your whole arm because you cut your finger. It will stop the bleeding, but cause plenty of other problems, possibly permanent.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks for the input, any tricks for finding oil leaks?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Thanks for the input, any tricks for finding oil leaks?

They sell fluorescent dye that you can put in your oil that lights up real bright under blacklight. It helps a ton. Otherwise, clean everything up real good and go for a 10 mile drive and look again.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Stop leak is a horrible thing, it provides a very temporary solution which ends up causing more problems in the long run.

I would recommend a good high mileage oil as they generally have a safe amount of conditioner for seals, but if they toast there is no mechanic in a can.

To find the leaks, head to the local coin wash with some cans of gunk original engine degreaser.

Then verify the seals at the upper part of the engine first as they can leak down the engine and look like a rear main or oil pan seal.

Good luck

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I mechanic told me, not a tech, you put oil in the engine and you put gas in the tank. NOTHING ELSE.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks for all the warnings, definitely won't be buying any