M1 intake ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So have an opportunity to buy a used M1, its the 4 barrel version. The PO says he ran it with an adapter so he could use the stock 2 barrel throttle body. Just wondering how that setup will work on my street truck? I looked Summits site and they list a 2 barrel M1 also. I don,t know which way to go here.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Aw you lucky *******. I've been looking for an M1 off and on for years and only ever saw one come up on eBay for like, $400. I wish that I could go back in time and threaten myself to buy it or I'll kick my ass.

The one that you see on Summit is likely the carbed version meant to bolt to LA heads. Unless you want to convert to carburetor, you won't be able to use this. Summit does list the fuel-injected one, but it's been out of stock as long as I can remember.

Whether you go two barrel or four barrel, definitely get yourself a tune for best results. If Pepper pops in, he'll explain everything that you need/want to know.

If you're interested in a manifold swap, grab it or you'll kick yourself later like me. Those M1s are tough to find.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What's your street trucks setup or what will it be when finished? That's the key factor.

If you're planning something in the neighborhood of stroker/boost, 4bbl m1 is a great addition. Now, 2bbl is probably a bit better for all but the really serious stroker/boost combos when talking about your average ram truck simply because it yields more tq for these heavy ********. I see you have a 96 IndyPace truck so I assume that's what it'll be going in. Those are closer to the crew-cab Dakota weight class and I wouldn't shy away from using the 4bbl there.

If it is in fact drilled for injectors, depending on the price and build plan, go for it. If you just wanna build a basic heads/cam/intake engine with a factory bottom end and they're asking more than 450, just save a little extra and get the Hughes Airgap. Make more tq and be better suited. Stroker or boost or even an aggressive HCI with high compression or nitrous, go for it. Reason I say this is if you plan on keeping stock bottom end no power-adders, 4bbl is a bit oversized AND you'll pay the same in the long run as you would getting the Hughes because you'll need the adapter and all the gaskets which the Airgap already comes with.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
There's also another option out there btw for all interested. If changing heads and wanting a different intake manifold, you can go ahead and get EngineQuest heads with LA intake manifold bolt pattern. Victor sells a single plane manifold for the LA pattern that is similar to the M1 and is already drilled for injectors. Reason nobody uses it is because you need heads for the LA pattern and generally people buy the manifold first.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-28155/overview/make/dodge
^^$417 is a pretty good Magnum price too

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Thanks guys. Yes the intake will get used on the pace truck possibly. My truck is all stock except for Gibson shorty headers, and the Mopar performance comp. I,m thinking of porting the heads, that's why I asked about head bolts in my other post. So really, on my engine I would be better off with the stock kegger? Like I say I don,t want a race engine, the truck is plenty fast enough for me the way it is.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you're wanting to do head work and just want a mild setup, I'd suggest just getting new EQs that are already assembled. Similar or better performance vs ported stock heads and they won't be cracked between the seats.

If you're doing head work, your truck will love an intake. Kegger is the biggest cork in the system followed by heads.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Also, over all of that, sct tuning instead of the Mopar PCM will do you some good as well. frptuning.com has canned tunes for bolt on setups. Mine is a good example. I run a big throttle body, 2bbl m1, longtubes, 3" single exhaust, rockers and Ryan's canned m1/airgap tune for bolt-on engines and I've started competing in amateur sled pulling, it's my daily and it's a huge blast to drive and romp on. With 33s, 3.55s, Ranch Hand style bumpers and less power from shortys and factory 2.5" exhaust I've beaten similar 5.3s, 5.4s and it'll beat ANY late 80s-90s sbc truck in the area lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963