To make 4x4 work, must turn off truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnMoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Mopar
For some reason in order for my truck to engage 4x4 I have to turn it off, switch it into 4 wheel drive and then turn the truck back on. Does anyone know why?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have you tried shifting the transmission into neutral instead?

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
For some reason in order for my truck to engage 4x4 I have to turn it off, switch it into 4 wheel drive and then turn the truck back on. Does anyone know why?

sounds like a weird theory

dodge trucks have a mechanical linkage I believe, there is no vacuum assist (correct me if im wrong)

when you pull that 4x4 lever, that engages t tcase

the fact you say the truck needs to be off doesn't seem right at all.

very first thing I would do is check your linkage for the tcase....get some pb blaster and soak all the linkages. next I would do is some tcase service. new oil, maybe some internal adjustments needs

that thing should slide into 4 wheel drive like butter,

now if you going into 4l, then you need to be in N for it to go in

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
There are vac lines and they control the CAD, the switch is located on top of the xcase.

2H to 4H or 4H to 2H

Shift while moving at any legal speed. The shift will be easier if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal. Apply a constant force while shifting the transfer case lever. 4H is to be used for traction when driving in rain, snow, mud or sand or when driving off-road. Never drive in 4H on dry paved roads.

Note: During cold weather (below 30F.) it may be more difficult to shift the transfer case while the vehicle is moving. If so, stop the vehicle and shift. Move the vehicle forward or backward to complete positive engagement of the gears.
4H to 4L or 4L to 4H

Slow the vehicle to under 3mph shift an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a manual transmission. Shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly down to 4L. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral)

Note: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine off to avoid gear clash while completing the shift.

Do not attempt to shift to or from 4L while transmission is in gear or clutch is engaged.

OP
OP
J

JohnMoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Mopar
Thanks a lot for the info, ill try it out and let you know how it goes.