Mind = blown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Njacobs1115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 98 dodge ram 1500 v8 5.2 2wd.
When i bought it the dealer told me it puttered a little....either from bad gas or fuel injectors......he wasnt sure of the problem. The truck has 136k seems to have a strong engine and tranny. Just to give you some background.
So i bought the truck and did a tuneup.....took it to autozone and had then put it on the computer.....came back with 11 codes.....misfires, fuel sysyem, mainly plug related things and fuel system. When i did the tuneup i couldn't get to distributor cap so i didnt change it.....directly after tuneup i started truck and it *** makinh a loud metal pinging sound.....not the low oil sound. It sounded like a empty metal trash can being hit w a stick.

Here is my problem/question.....when i did the distributor cap....one of the two bolts broke off in the hole. I got the cap off...but cant get new one back in. Should i buy a new distributor and just replace it or have it drilled and tapped? What is cheaper....what is better?

Also any idea what that sound is?

If i change out whole distributor.....is that difficult? I can't find any info on it....only for cap and rotor

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Good luck man, you got a lot going on and unless I could put eyes on the problem, anything offered for advice would be a bunch of stabbing guesses.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
:shakehead:Well not to bust your chops but why would you buy a vehicle from a dealer that was running so poorly.
You shoud have said fix all the problems and them maybe I will buy it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What are the exact codes?

Probably try drilling and tapping first. Distributor is 100+ and it needs to have fuel sync reset once pulled. Not hard to get it close manually but has to be finished with a special scanner by the dealer

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Did you accidentally mix up spark plug wires?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I've done this more times than I'd like to admit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you accidentally mix up spark plug wires?

Been there, done that myself. Get the firing order then check to make sure the wires are in the right place at both ends.

I'd drill and tap that distributor. You can use an "easy out" extractor to back out the portion of the bolt still in the assembly.