Misfiring after filling tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Hey guys! I had a check engine light on my 97 Dodge Ram 5.9. I went to AutoZone to check what it was and it says that cyclinder 5&7 are misfiring. I did a tune up (spark plug & oil) and tried but is still misfiring. I went ahead and just changed the spark plug wires with distirbutor and rotor and it's still misfiring. I can run it up to 40mph without the overdrive on and it's starts shaking. Once I hit the overdrive and speed up, it goes away. Between 40-50 it had this problem. This problem started when I went to a gas station to fill up the tank and as soon as I turned it on, it start misfiring. I went to Murphys here in Texas. Hope to hear from you guys!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You may have a leak in your fuel evaporation system. It consists of hoses to and from the tank vent to a canister. It's common for the hoses, which are rubber, to dry out and crack just like a vacuum hose.

You'll have to get underneath the truck (or get it up on a lift) to 1) find the canister, 2) inspect the hoses, and, 3) replace them. Also check the canister as it could be full of fuel.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wonder if it isn't water in the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm not sure about the newer trucks, but you can completely tear out the evap system (I ran my truck for 2 weeks with all of it unhooked before I noticed and put it back).

Check your plug wire routing, not only to make sure they are on the correct place on the distributor but also to make sure none of them are touching or running alongside each other. This is a common TSB, if they must cross it should be as close to 90* as possible to avoid 'crosstalk' and a misfire.

Otherwise, you can either drain the fuel, or put some fuel stabilizer in it and run it almost empty then go fill up at a marathon, speedway or shell gas station with regular unleaded. That should wash out any contaminants that were in that fuel. Don't buy into those fuel injector cleaners, for how little they do, its not much more hassle to just replace the offending injectors.