Mopar M1 or Hughes Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know I know this has been brought up a bunch of times before. But which intake would be best. What I'm going to be doing is fixing my plenum soon and which is best. Basically the truck is a daily driver and I wanna get the most out of her. Now i will be adding the fastman tb and eventually 1.7 rockers.

One other thing is for the M1 what all would I need as the hughes comes as a kit

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^What he said.

For the TB, there's a fella on eBay that's cutting stock Dodge throttle bodies to 50 and 52mm. He used to do plenum plates, so I know he does good work, as I have one. lol His TBs are like 90 bucks, so a good bit cheaper than Fastman.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Plenum plate ended 2 weeks ago and the 52mm TB ended today. 50mm is still available for $100. 52mm TB is usually $150. Plenum plate is usually $70 I think.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Plenum plate ended 2 weeks ago and the 52mm TB ended today. 50mm is still available for $100. 52mm TB is usually $150. Plenum plate is usually $70 I think.

I thought he quit cutting the plates a while back and started cutting TBs?!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't know if its the same guy. I just mean the plate in general on ebay.

There was only the one guy doing it for the longest time, been a while since I've looked for someone. lol

99BlkDakRt or Trisa34?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Interesting, so there is another guy making them now. Wondered how long it would be before someone started again. lol

And Sanford, Tx too! :sparta:

OP
OP
K

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For the M1 you need the intake, installation kit and gaskets. Here's the installation kit. Mostly depends on the supporting mods though. I don't like Hughes so I'd go for the M1 or mod the kegger.

Thanks, so basically if I'm keeping it almost stock then the M1 is the way to go?
Now do I want the single plane or double plane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^What he said.

For the TB, there's a fella on eBay that's cutting stock Dodge throttle bodies to 50 and 52mm. He used to do plenum plates, so I know he does good work, as I have one. lol His TBs are like 90 bucks, so a good bit cheaper than Fastman.

I already bought the tb over a year ago from fastman. I was just waiting until I did the plenum to install it.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Both the M1 and Airgap will make you lose low-end since the keg is a low-end monster. So you will need supporting mods to bring it back. 1.7rr, 52mm TB, Tuner, etc. I believe even the modded keg loses low-end. So if you are keeping it almost stock then just fix the plenum and stick with the stock kegger.

OP
OP
K

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Both the M1 and Airgap will make you lose low-end since the keg is a low-end monster. So you will need supporting mods to bring it back. 1.7rr, 52mm TB, Tuner, etc. I believe even the modded keg loses low-end. So if you are keeping it almost stock then just fix the plenum and stick with the stock kegger.

So In reality it's cheaper for me to replace the plenum itself and keep the low end power I have now with the stock kegger.

Now if I do decide to do the 1.7 rockers with the kegger what will it do for the truck then?

And where would you get suggest getting the plenum repair kit (aftermarket (summit,jegs, Hughes) or from the dealership?)

Sorry for all the questions I just wanna make sure I keep her running at tip top shape without hurting anything or cause more problems on the old girl.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So In reality it's cheaper for me to replace the plenum itself and keep the low end power I have now with the stock kegger.

Now if I do decide to do the 1.7 rockers with the kegger what will it do for the truck then?

And where would you get suggest getting the plenum repair kit (aftermarket (summit,jegs, Hughes) or from the dealership?)

Sorry for all the questions I just wanna make sure I keep her running at tip top shape without hurting anything or cause more problems on the old girl.

The problem with the kegger is that it literally runs out of steam above 3500 rpm because, while there is a lot of air in there, there is no velocity. But from idle to 3000, it's a work horse. Peak torque is at 3000, for that matter.

The 1.7 rockers will merely act as a slightly larger cam because they keep the valves open larger and slightly longer. This effect would give you gains across the board.

What you could do is do the "kegger mod" (google it, I don't feel like digging up a thread right now, sorry. lol), do your plenum fix, put your Fastman on and do the 1.7rrs and have a fairly good power increase.

OP
OP
K

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The problem with the kegger is that it literally runs out of steam above 3500 rpm because, while there is a lot of air in there, there is no velocity. But from idle to 3000, it's a work horse. Peak torque is at 3000, for that matter.

The 1.7 rockers will merely act as a slightly larger cam because they keep the valves open larger and slightly longer. This effect would give you gains across the board.

What you could do is do the "kegger mod" (google it, I don't feel like digging up a thread right now, sorry. lol), do your plenum fix, put your Fastman on and do the 1.7rrs and have a fairly good power increase.

Thanks!! Awesome info and exactly what I was looking for.

Basically once I get the plenum fixed I'll gain back the power I had lost with the blown plenum and add some with the other 2 mods I wanna do in the future

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks!! Awesome info and exactly what I was looking for.

Basically once I get the plenum fixed I'll gain back the power I had lost with the blown plenum and add some with the other 2 mods I wanna do in the future

Pretty much. Though I would advise that if you're going to mod the intake, do it NOW. lol You're not gonna want to pull that intake again to mod it later. Shoot, if you can, get an intake that will work with your truck and mod that one so you can install the plate and whatnot, then drop it in the truck.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Couple of things to ad here. If you mod the kegger you might just as well get the M1 intake as the modded keg takes about the same other mods to keep the lower end tq as the M1 does and you still have the pos plenum plate in play. The aluminum plate is not a end all be all fix, they do fail again we have seen this happen.

On my motor I still use the stock tb, I have a BBK 52mm for it and have only used it three times. Its great after 3000+ rpm but does nothing for bottom end tq.

OP
OP
K

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pretty much. Though I would advise that if you're going to mod the intake, do it NOW. lol You're not gonna want to pull that intake again to mod it later. Shoot, if you can, get an intake that will work with your truck and mod that one so you can install the plate and whatnot, then drop it in the truck.

I mean the more I think about it I have 156,000 miles on her and she still runs like new with the only problem really being the plenum. Which I knew would need replaced eventually when I bought the truck.

I want the truck to run past 200,000 with the original motor and some mods to help reach that goal.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Has a comp test been done on this motor? I would before you start doing anything.