Motor Mods...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hey all, second post to the forum. Great amount of info on here. I have an 01 ram with 225k and the motor is simply tired. its a real shame, too, because it runs amazing. Hasn't missed a beat since we got it with 160k. Now, i have another block that Im wanting to build while Im using the truck to go from school and other personal things.On to the mods.. Im wanting to do these mods and Im wondering how they'll do together. Basically Im going for:
512/512 lift, 264/274 duration and 110LSA cam
running stock roller rockers w/upgraded springs
Stock heads with .020 shaved (I went to the machine shop at school so I can have this done for free)
50mm throttle body, either from fastman or ebay
Hughes plenum plate and gasket
Long tube headers, with a flowmaster super 44, hi-flow cat, and an electronic dump after the cat
msd 8mm wires, Blaster coil, and 6al for ignition
24lb injectors
Can hemifever tune for these changes?
I understand that there are other threads on these subjects and parts, but i haven't seen any with the setup that Im looking at. Im 16 with a job that i work bi-weekly in place of shop at my vocational school, so none of this will be done overnight. Any input or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Regards, Billy

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm not a build guy, those cam specs mean nothing to me. But, i'll tell you right now, if you are going to do all that, replace the heads. The stock heads a garbage, and more than likely cracked. You're better off getting a nice set somewhere that will handle what you will want in the near or distant future. If you're going to spend all that money, forget HemiFever, FlyinRyan is who you want to go with, he might be a little more expensive, but he works with you to figure out what would be best for you.

You can also forget the high flow cat, some others might disagree, but a new regular cat will work just fine, they really dont restrict as much as people say.

As for the intake, you might want to think about porting that out if you have access to a machine shop, you'll get some free improvement there. Dapepper will know more about how much to port that out. so will Ryan.

Also, it might be worthwhile to put a fuel/air sensor in place of the upstream O2.

I'm sure others will have opinions, but this is my starter list of what to keep in mind. Good luck, be sure to keep us updated :)

OP
OP
The_murdered_warrior

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks, dudeman. I've been looking, and the best bang for the buck heads that I've been seeing are the EQ (Engine Quest) heads. They run a little steep for me, considering that im only working bi-weekly. Its not like any Chevy 350 i've built, where you can get heads from anywhere for fairly cheap. i know, its only a 318 and it always will be. As the old saying goes, Theres no replacement for displacement. ive been toying around with the idea of throwing a 5.9 in there but i already have a 5.2 block ready to be built siting on a stand.
As for the high flow cat, Im going off of what others have had success with, and thank you for saving me $130, haha. I will have the intake ported, and if i don't end up getting a set of decent heads, ill have the stockers magnafluxed and cut .020 off, and ported. I will also look into Flyin Ryan, Thanks for the recommendation.
If anybody wants to, Follow me on Instagram @The_murdered_warrior .I always post pics of the truck.
Again, Thanks Dudeman2009, ill keep you guys posted.

OP
OP
The_murdered_warrior

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Also thinking somewhere down the road of doing gearing changes. Anybody have any input?Ii have the D44 up front and corporate 9.25 in the back, both running 3.55 gears. If i wanted to help out the powertrain a bit, should I go with 3.92s or 4.10, or possibly higher? its only running 35s with 3"front and 2.5"rear lift.
Thanks all!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Thats the nice thing about the Magnum engines, you cant beef them up regardless of whether you have the 5.9 or the 5.2. It just depends how much money you want to put in it. You might be lacking 80HP in the end, but you won't even notice in the long run. Just gear it down and put some tires on it. The thing will be a beast.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Can, I meant to say can :roflsquared:

As far as gears, 4.10, you'll be happier. If you're happy with the stock lift leave it, its plenty fine to get some nice tires on there to give it a good mean look without people thinking you're trying to compensate and as a result mess with you on the road. If you want to go Higher, you can take it up to 5" without any major issues drivetrain wise.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Skip porting the intake, recent dyno tests (a week ago, i can get some screenshots if you wish) proven it to be null and void and make about 3hp under the curve and make the same peak numbers.
-Cam is big for the kegger and crap factory heads. You'll be severely disappointed as they simply can't flow enough.
-Factory Rockers aren't roller and arent that great but with proper pushrod length, usable
-24# injectors are a waste of money and unneeded as the factory will last you till about 350whp and you won't be ANYWHERE near that
-HemiFever can't tune these trucks for shut and doesn't care about us as customers much. RYan started out by fixing Sean's (Hemifever) tunes. There's a #CuredTheFever for them
-throttle body, if you're spending the money just go straight to a 52 or 53, cfm before the manifold isn't such a big deal with mpfi unless it's too little

My suggestion:
52mm tb, plenum gasket and leave the runners, do your work to the heads if you wish since you can get it done cheap, 1.7s, pacesetter longtubes if you longtubes and single 2.5" exhaust or dual 2.25" (high flow cats are often cheaper so if you have emissions high flow is a good option, whatever muffler you like they make negligible difference) and get a tune. You'll have tq like a tank and be more than happy with that little 318. Cam is something to wait on until you have aftermarket intake and heads. Kegger flows about 180cfm vs 255 for the airgap and 270 for the m1. EQ heads out of the box flow 40cfm more than factory and with work they rival Edelbrock aluminum. Stockers can get pretty close to mild EQs though

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
For 35s, 4.10 minimum bit 4.56 recommended for more tq and less trans stress. 4.10s are better if you don't plan on hot-rodding it much and plan on more highway driving, otherwise #DontFearTheGear

OP
OP
The_murdered_warrior

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks, dapepper9.
So far its looking like ill need an intake, heads, 1.7 rockers, pacesetter longtubes, and tb. Why a 52mm throttle body? It was my understanding that the 52mm worked better on the 5.9, and the 50mm was more suited for the 5.2? Anyways, if im building it over time, might as well go big with it, right? Should i go with a cam AND 1.7s? Or should i do a cam that can compensate for it?
Any intake suggestions? Ive heard about the mopar M1, but i cant find one for the Magnum. Ive seen a few for the LA bolt pattern, though.
As far as heads go, would EQ heads be worth it? Or is there a better head for the cost?
I will be regearing to 4.10s because the truck will occasionally be on the highway, and i dont want the motor screaming while going down the highway. Any other mods you guys suggest?
Thanks for the input.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
The_murdered_warrior

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Dudeman, its on 315/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's right now. They're great street tires, and they get real good traction off road, too. Right now the truck, in my opinion, is aggressive looking. I'm not a big fan of big rim-low profile tires, But I do like the 16' Cragar's that are on the truck now.
Here's a pic of when i got it, sorry about the bad quality. Body has a little surface rust at the bottom of doors and the rockers are also starting to show signs of age. Already have patch panels for the bed, too.
It was painted in 2011 by my father, whom only repaired above the rear wheel wells. Surprisingly, the rest of the truck was clean, after living its life in MA for its life. Its fun driving past schools in a city where lowered cars prevail the streets, and having kids yell "Look! Monster truck!" as i roll by :happy107:
AF1QipMskM7epdVehvBLZgKUqnVNwsZfl8PusMRMFgqA

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
52mm can be a little big for a 318 yeah but too big isn't a big deal with mpfi. It's not like on old school carbs where too high cfm carb will make it run like ass. And seeing as you wanna do more than the average bolt on guy, it'll be perfect.

Intake, the Mopar m1 is generally recommended but they're pretty hard to find as they're no longer made. Airgap is the next choice and the kicker there is the price, $600. But it is a pretty good piece regardless of it being Hughes. Can also pick up the EQs from Jegs with the LA intake bolt pattern and have the intake machined for inexorably bungs.you'll still need the 4bbl to 2bbl adapter but it's an option if you prefer Mopar up top vs something else. Can't imagine having bungs installed would be too much of a hassle for your situation with a shop at hand.

Bang for buck there's nothing better than EQs. They start basic and fairly cheap yet have the potential with a little massaging to handle some fairly crazy builds.

Only other thing i would say is a good limited slip for the rear when you do those gears. Power means nothing if you're peg legging it and going nowhere (Ask me how i know lol). Good trans cooler and keeping up on maintenence for that

OP
OP
The_murdered_warrior

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks. Ill be searching the classifieds and craigslist for an M1, and if one isnt found ill go with the airgap intake. If i do that, i can havethe bungs put in it by the machne shop at school. Im looking into the EQ heads and im hearing really good things about them, so I will most likely go with those heads. As for the tuning, if i go to Flyin Ryan, will i have to send a pcm to him, or does he do a handheld like superchips? Im new to the speed density system, Ive built two chevy 350s, one being carbed boat motor, and the other being a fuel injected one, built for a mud toy my cousin was building, a 97 k1500 with 1tons under it. I wish i could just throw a carb on it and call it done, but with the emissions testing in mass i dont think i can do that. Thanks for the reccomendations. And when the time comes i will be putting in a LS in the rear. Nobody likes one wheel peel! Haha

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
The_murdered_warrior

The_murdered_warrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Just wanted to give an update as to what is going on with the truck. The transmission lost 1st gear, so i called around to get quotes for a R&R on it. Everywhere i went was over 1k. I went on craigslist later that night and found a 99 ram with a rebuilt trans that was going for really cheap, to be used for parts. When i purchased it, i realized it had the 5.9 in it, along with a rebuilt transfer case. Since it is all relatively low miles, im going to swap out my motor, trans, and transfer case from the 99 parts ram into my good 01 ram. i will be doing 4.56's in the near future, after i get the running gear swapped. I am also doing the DIY posi-lock that i found over on the jeep fourm. Thanks all for your previous suggestions.