motor seems overly tired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
k i have the 360 2wheel automatic. all stock minus the cherry bomb exhaust the po put on.... this thing has absolutely 0 get up and go to it. im struggling to do 75 as well.....i just recently changed the oil checked the air filter and cleaned up the plugs. replaced 6 and 8 as they were completely fouled out....afterwards felt no difference at all. the only thing i know to still be wrong with the truck is there is a large hole in the midpipe just passed the headers. anyone have any idea where i can start to attempt to get more power out of this old heep? oh btw it has 202k on it with a fresh rebuilt tranny.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Start with doing a compression test and vacuum test and see where the health of the engine is at. Because if your compression is low then there is nothing you can do but rebuild the engine. As for if the vacuum is doing weird things you might have a head job to do. In either case you losing power to compression leakage. Fouling plugs could be from the intake plenum gasket being bad too you can check by looking down the throttle plate to see if there is oil below.

OP
OP
olbaid_83

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
after doing some research and talking to others i felt compelled to state that there is 0 oil usage or burning. did an oil change about a week ago and the levels havent moved. one friend says it sounds like air/fuel issues and another says it sounds like a vacuum leak. he brought to light that when you mash the gas there is a whining noise for a few seconds that almost sounds like a belt squeal but i know its not that. (already changed all that out and it did nothing for the sound)

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
The hole in the pipe just after the header isn't good either. That means you engine has almost zero backpressure, which will definately equal a lack of performance. Try sealing that hole and you'll prolly see a difference, as well as what moparman said about the compression tests.

OP
OP
olbaid_83

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
ill try to get it taken care of this week. trupiano you confirmed my suspicions about the back pressure.....the exhaust shop guy said it wouldnt make a difference thats why i didnt have it fixed before.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
a whole will make a difference. the magnum heads are known to develop cracks in the heads. a compression check for sure is needed.

OP
OP
olbaid_83

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
update!!
dropped it off at the exhaust shop he said everything in the cat is busted up and its also cracked pretty bad plus it was missing an o2 sensor. ill have it back in the am

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
cool. i bet it will run better when you get it back. what are you doin about the cat? takin it off? high flow? stock?

OP
OP
olbaid_83

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
replacing it with a stock one for now.....it has a cherry bomb muffler on it for now...i wanna get it back to good running condition before i start with the mods....after i get it running ive got a bed hood and fender to fix then i get to start in on the paint.....got plans to go flat black like my jeep and eventually do green or blue real flames on it to match my jeep too

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
update!!
dropped it off at the exhaust shop he said everything in the cat is busted up and its also cracked pretty bad plus it was missing an o2 sensor. ill have it back in the am

Funny... The kitty cat in my truck had a problem too... The owner shot 2 holes in it and beat the trash out with a screwdriver and a hammer and welded the holes closed. No more problem.

Then installed 2 fresh O2 sensors and was running like a champ less exhaust back pressure. :crazy:

OP
OP
olbaid_83

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
got it back and oh my god!!!! it drives like a brand new truck....put a new cat on it and a new upstream o2 (no one in town had a downstream in stock) now i gotta look at upgrading my brakes cause it wont stop fast enough lol. also replaced the tstat and went ahead and put an amp and sub in it that i had layin around.....looks like its time to start on the body work!!

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
cool. glad its fixed.