motor Squeals like a pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
:whymewhyme:
Since I poured SeaFoam in my gas tank to clean the fuel system. It only happens when i accelerate past 20 mph. I think that it might be a belt.

Any ideas?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Belt tensioner time, you could try to free it up so it moves it full range.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's self tensioning. The tensioner is right below the alternator and should be keeping your belt snug against everything. Do what merc said and see if that helps otherwise shell out the money for a new one. I spent a crap ton of money chasing a chirp, turned out my water pump kamikazied on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is possible but that shouldn't make it squeal, if anything it should make it quieter. Check your belt too, especially if it's pretty old. Sometimes they can wear down and crack which can cause belt noise as well. Is it actually squealing or chirping?

OP
OP
RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
That is possible but that shouldn't make it squeal, if anything it should make it quieter. Check your belt too, especially if it's pretty old. Sometimes they can wear down and crack which can cause belt noise as well. Is it actually squealing or chirping?

both

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Oil on a serpentine belt is a bad thing. Get some degreaser and clean the belt and ALL the pulleys, check that the idler tensioner is moving freely (not the pulley but the whole assy).

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Belt tensioner time, you could try to free it up so it moves it full range.
This
It's self tensioning. The tensioner is right below the alternator and should be keeping your belt snug against everything. Do what merc said and see if that helps otherwise shell out the money for a new one. I spent a crap ton of money chasing a chirp, turned out my water pump kamikazied on me.

This
Oil on a serpentine belt is a bad thing. Get some degreaser and clean the belt and ALL the pulleys, check that the idler tensioner is moving freely (not the pulley but the whole assy).

And this.

Take it off, clean it, check the tensioner. Buy a new belt and tensioner if necessary.

OP
OP
RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Well I haven't been able to check it yet as I have been at work since... Monday I think?

But today when I was headed out to the next county to pick up some food supplies from my supplier I suddenly lost the ability to break, steer, and pretty much lost control of my car in heavy traffic on a two lane street.

I got lucky since I could still force the wheel enough to hit the curb and slow down a bit. Then the flow of opposite traffic dissipated to the point that i could turn onto a side road and force my truck to stop by running into a bush.

This was all caused by my belt slipping enough for everything to lose power.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah. That's what happens when you loose the belt. Did it fly off? You don't get lube on a belt like that.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it hasn't been done recently on a 96 truck, I'd get the tensioner too while you're changing the belt.