Motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reed4004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hi guys, I'm new to the ram family, but I'm loving it so far. I have a 2002 quad cab with the 5.9 magnum . And I was wondering how hard it would be to put a hemi in it an what it would take? The 5.9 just ain't got the speed that I would like to have.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
dont think it would be worth all the work. if your gonna spend that kinda money just turbo or supervcharge it man.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anything is possible if you have the drive and the cash, haha. I would do it for the extra power, reliability, and aftermarket availability. Not sure what all would be involved for cost, but it would be an awesome install once completed. Good luck!

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
It's a truck, it was never meant to go fast. Just keep that in mind throughout the process.
That being said, there are quite a few things you can do to a 360/5.9 to get more performance that are WAY more cost effective and will probably give you less headache than a hemi swap.

First off, do you want to go faster over all, or do you want to get up to speed faster (top speed vs 0-60)? If it's 0-60/acceleration of the line/responsiveness you want, the easy and low cost mods that should make a noticeable difference are Tb mod, cai, exhaust and programmer (assuming you have an automatic, I think 5spd will benefit much less). That should get you started. Then you can start looking into an intake upgrade (mopar m1 or Hughes), headers, cam, possibly turbo or supercharger etc. and you would still probably come in way lower $$$$ than a Hemi swap and WAY less headache. Before you do anything, check if there is a vacuum in your crack case (pull the oil cap while the engine is running and put your hand over it). If yes, you'll need to do the plenum job before any modding to ensure your engine ifs running healthy.

If it's a better top speed you want, sell the truck and buy a charger with a 440.

Last edited:

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The actual swap itself wasn't that much of a pain in the ass. I was pretty surprised how easily the Hemi fit in my truck. I'm still using the stock trans mount and just notched the frame side of the stock motor mounts down deeper while using the Hemi's original mount on the engine side, so the top of the intake and Throttle body would clear the firewall. Other than that it fit into the truck like a glove.

As a couple guys have mentioned its not a cheap swap. Hemi's are not all that cheap to buy even used. Plus unless you do the wiring yourself your looking at another $2k just for that. I'm all for seeing more people swap Hemi's in but unless you plan on keeping the truck for a very long time it is a lot of money to spend.

I originally wanted to do the swap for a couple reasons. First off I don't ever plan on selling this truck, and second I wanted to build something different that not everybody and there brother could just go out and buy. I have always wanted my truck to be different from others and also the Hemi has a 10x better aftermarket than the older magnums.

Overall if you do the research and whatnot into doing this swap and read every build thread you can find on Hemi swaps it's not a hard swap. The biggest thing is just the cost and figuring out if it will be worth it to you.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a truck, it was never meant to go fast. Just keep that in mind throughout the process.
That being said, there are quite a few things you can do to a 360/5.9 to get more performance that are WAY more cost effective and will probably give you less headache than a hemi swap.

I know trucks will never be as fast as most cars can be but it's easy to make a car go fast and anybody can do that. Making a truck go fast is a challenge and Is fun to see the look on peoples faces when a truck goes blowing by them or at least keeps up to them lol.

As for headaches with a Hemi swap as long as you build it right and don't try and skimp out on things you shouldn't it won't give you any headaches. Mines been running for 2 years and over 10,000 kms now without any problems so far. Been running perfect since the first time I touched the key after the swap.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
I know trucks will never be as fast as most cars can be but it's easy to make a car go fast and anybody can do that. Making a truck go fast is a challenge and Is fun to see the look on peoples faces when a truck goes blowing by them or at least keeps up to them lol.

Can't argue with that man. :favorites13: