mucky green slimy coolant in resivior???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
doesn't smell like oil,temp gauge stays below half way mark..doesn't over heat...any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_3540.jpg
    100_3540.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_3539.jpg
    100_3539.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 22

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looks like oil. Time for a compression test on the motor and a pressure test on the cooling system. Does it make it to the half way point a lot? I dont know how the American trucks are set up but my gauge usually sits at about a quarter way up. Sounds like a bad head gasket to me. Need to see the compression numbers though.

OP
OP
94 LIFTED RAM

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like oil. Time for a compression test on the motor and a pressure test on the cooling system. Does it make it to the half way point a lot? I dont know how the American trucks are set up but my gauge usually sits at about a quarter way up. Sounds like a bad head gasket to me. Need to see the compression numbers though.

yeah,merc said he don't think it's a bad head gasket because it's not overheating..the temp gauge stays right at quarter mark...i am just going to get it flushed out with new coolant...should be good to go after that.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah,merc said he don't think it's a bad head gasket because it's not overheating..the temp gauge stays right at quarter mark...i am just going to get it flushed out with new coolant...should be good to go after that.

Id still do a compression and pressure test to see where your at. Be sure to flush block and radiator lol. I gotta get this done too.

OP
OP
94 LIFTED RAM

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id still do a compression and pressure test to see where your at. Be sure to flush block and radiator lol. I gotta get this done too.

oh yes,lol...mechanic will be doing this job.to cold here to mess with it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
even if it is a head gasket,it won't cost that much.

Well No lol, it took me close to 15hrs to change out both heads and gaskets. Some might be able to do it in a shorter time frame or maybe longer. Hard to say but the average cost I see to change head gaskets is close to $1000+

OP
OP
94 LIFTED RAM

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well No lol, it took me close to 15hrs to change out both heads and gaskets. Some might be able to do it in a shorter time frame or maybe longer. Hard to say but the average cost I see to change head gaskets is close to $1000+

yup,thats about right,but i have someone who may save me a bit of money.

OP
OP
94 LIFTED RAM

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

am i ok to drive the truck for another week with this bad coolant?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, the way I look at it, there is no telling how long it's been bad, so I'd go ahead and drive it until I could get it flushed. Especially if it's your only vehicle, just keep an eye on the level and the temps in the mean time.

OP
OP
94 LIFTED RAM

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the way I look at it, there is no telling how long it's been bad, so I'd go ahead and drive it until I could get it flushed. Especially if it's your only vehicle, just keep an eye on the level and the temps in the mean time.

you make a good point,thank you bud!