My engine is toast, need info on compatible years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've had a problem for about a month now that when the engine revs above 4Krpm I loose all oil pressure for a minute. Usually shutting it off and waiting a few minutes works just fine. So I ignored it and said i'd deal with it when the temps got back above 40. Coming home from Midland today the oil pressure dropped and would not come back. I needed to get back and waiting for a wrecker was out of the question, so I drove it (it already had a slight knocking so I figured it was toast anyway). Well, I went 30 miles without any oil pressure with a 6x12x8ft trailer clocking at 1 ton. The thing it toast, it'd be quieter if you attached a hammer to the crank, I might get a video up later.

I'm hard on cash so unless I can get a loan, a new engine is out of the question. I'm going to get a junkyard engine and trans (my trans is busted too) and swap it in. But I dont know how far back I can go for the year. Mines a 2001, I think I can go all the way to 99 without much hassle. It's also the 318. I might get a 5.9 with a manual if they don't charge to much for the PCM.

So my second question, can I use an auto harness with a manual trans and PCM?

Thanks in advanced.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Auto harness you'll need to ground out the neutral safety switch. Otherwise yes. Engine you can go all the way back to 94, you'll just need to swap a few pieces. Not too crazy of a job there and often a good opportunity for preventative maintenance. Trans you can go back to 96

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you get a manual trans, engine and pcm get the harness as well.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you get a manual trans, engine and pcm get the harness as well.

Problem with that is the harness has to be compatible with his year. Generally easier to make a quick little modification like grounding the neutral safety than swapping a whole harness. That and you're not going to find a 360 manual 2500 in a junk yard. Those mofos will be picked clean

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I'd take a 318 manual in a heartbeat, its just a slight difference in bore and or stroke (I cant remember which).

Thanks for the help Dapepper.

If I can find a good deal I might get a rebuild kit and rebuild it while its out of the vehicle, it'll never be easier.

The drive shaft for all the 4x2s didn't change right?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'd take a 318 manual in a heartbeat, its just a slight difference in bore and or stroke (I cant remember which).

Thanks for the help Dapepper.

If I can find a good deal I might get a rebuild kit and rebuild it while its out of the vehicle, it'll never be easier.

The drive shaft for all the 4x2s didn't change right?

Driveshaft to pinion was different in 00+(?) I believe. Otherwise "should" be the same. You'd have to measure to confirm though

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Driveshaft to pinion was different in 00+(?) I believe. Otherwise "should" be the same. You'd have to measure to confirm though

Looks like I won't have to, there isn't a single junkyard within 100 miles of me with a single functional manual trans for a 4x2 truck. Holy **** those things get picked up quick. I guess i'm lucky I was able to find a working 5.9 with less than 170k on it for $375.

Now i've just gotta wrestle myself and decide if I want to wait an extra month to get a full rebuild kit or just settle for a re-main kit and new oil pump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio