Narrow pipe to help back pressure loss with straight pipes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mason J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I want to straight pipe my truck from the headers but I know it will result in a loss of back pressure and a loss of power therefor. Does anyone know if I run a 3" pipe into a 1" pipe for a few inches if that will fix the problem? I don't want to lose the obnoxious sound of pure straights by putting any type of muffler on because I just love the sound.

P.S. I have a 1997 Ram 1500 with a 5.2 318

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'm not 100% sure how somethin like that would work out but I personally don't see it as a great idea. Usually when people got with something like true dual straight pipes they use 2" or 2-1/4" pipe the whole way so I would think about 2-3ft of 2" pipe would maybe work better but still preserve that sound fairly well

Like I said tho I'm not 100% sure so maybe someone else will chime in

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I'm not 100% sure how something like that would work out but I personally don't see it as a great idea. Usually when people got with something like true dual straight pipes they use 2" or 2-1/4" pipe the whole way so I would think about 2-3ft of 2" pipe would maybe work better but still preserve that sound fairly well

Like I said tho I'm not 100% sure so maybe someone else will chime in

This part is dead nuts on the money.

Op if you must run straight pipes for whatever reason use collectors that step down to 2.25 pipe and run 2.25 pipe to wherever.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
don't run straight pipes if you don't have too

if your after loud, there are other ways it can be done (I think you will regret straight pipes)

i have a magnaflow high flow cat, with a single 3 inch pipe going back to the rear axle where it goes into a y pipe and duals out the back

Its loud, there is no muffler.....

I did this when i was in high school (young and dumb)

Im in the process of finding a muffler i can put on there that has a deep rumble on acceleration, but then a nice tone cruising

Trust me, loud is not what you really want....but if you think louder is better...cut your factory muffler out, throw on a flowmaster 10....

:flipthebird: <-----is what your neighbors will be doing when you go by! LOL