Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hey guys I've got a 360 magnum block just sitting around from my 02 1500 what's some advice on putting a little pep in this motor ... such as small cams or what not I use the truck it's going in as a daily driver and haul some with it so nothing real performancy

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Cams are a late step in getting performance. First thing would be to get a tune, make sure the plenum is fixed though. Getting a different intake is another decent step, a nice set of headers is also something you can do.

If you just want it to feel like a new truck and you can spend a bit of money, get an intake,edelbrock makes a decent one for not too much money, and get a tune. that'll make it feel like new without putting too much work or money into it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
For myself, a good budget build would consist of:
Factory rebuild on rotating assembly (they're very durable)
53mm hipotek throttle body
Harland Sharp or Scorpion Racing 1.7 rockers
Engine Quest heads
Hughes Airgap
Pacesetter longtubes or Spintech Mid-Length headers and true dual 2.5" or single 3" exhaust
Frptuning canned airgap/m1 tune

If you look at my signature thats nearly the same setup I'm running and it's awesome. I just don't have the 53mm and instead i have a 52x55, 2bbl m1 over airgap (perform virtually the same) and i don't have heads yet. Even on 33s, it's a hella fun setup

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Unless you're planning on regularly running north of 3,000 RPM, I wouldn't bother with the Hughes AirGap. Yes, the kegger is restrictive as hell and yes, you aren't going to kick out tons of power with it but what you will have is plenty of low-end torque which you really need with a heavy, automatic truck.

But what it really comes down to is what you want and how much you want to spend. I've looked to nab an AirGap or M1 for quite some time but ultimately decided that I'd rather stick to a low-end grunt setup than anything hot-rodish. I mean, my truck as it is isn't going to win any drag races, but I'm happy with my 0-70 acceleration as is and I'm not finished with my bolt-on stuff yet (still wanna get HS 1.7s and some ceramic-coated shorties) and the engnie will happily hum 2,300 RPM at 80 MPH with a single-exhaust setup. Hell, I could cruise 90 if I wanted but my front-end is a little loose for those speeds plus I don't always spot the brown hats right away when I'm busy jamming to Metallica, LOL.

Bottom line is with a tune and some bolt-ons, the kegger isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation suggests. It's no hot-rod manifold but it gets you going quickly and will still breathe good enough for spirited cruising. Spend a few bucks and ditch the ****** factory gasket with an updated one or get the replacement aluminum pan and you're good to go.

Also, for what it's worth, your acceleration will drop significantly after 3,000 RPM with the kegger. Me, I seldom accelerate that hard not because I don't want to but because I respect the limitations of the kegger and am happy with my torque under that RPM anyway. I've got enough power with my tune within that small range to where I can handily stay ahead of approaching cars when I'm turning onto the highway. And if I REALLY want to be serious, I can auto-stick the transmission which is especially effective ever since I got my tune. I don't do it very often but it sure is a nice option whenever the case may be...

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The tune alone negates any real low end loss in low end. Headers and tune you'd never even know. My truck pulls trailers easier with my current entire setup on 33s and 3.55s than it ever did with the kegger. DD94 on here has personally ridden in it and can tell you it behaves totally different than kegger trucks. I sled pulled for the 1st time and got third with heavy tires, no 1.7s and restrictive exhaust without ever breaking more than 2900rpm lol. Lost to a blown and stroked 351 Ford and a Chevy 350 that was rocking 5500rpm with more tread on his tires.

Personally, even when it was otherwise stock, the manifold swap is my favorite piece I've added. I wouldn't let the low end loss on a stock truck deter you, especially when it's easily overcome

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Not to mention the kegger is kind of ugly. :roflsquared:

I'm not the pop your hood and stare kind of guy, but I come up with stupid little projects all the time, add that to regular maintenance and i've got that thing open quite a bit, usually 3-4 times a week. My buddy also likes to look at the little projects i've got under the hood as a kind of reference while he does some of his own.

OP
OP
BoDuke

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
im looking at a federal mogul kit on summit .. do any of yall have suggestion to the kits they have or point me in the way of one