Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9L 360, everything in the motor is basically stock, and I'm wanting to have massive horsepower.

My question is would it be better to re-build my motor with more performance parts like cam, crank, heads, pistons, rings, headers, and better cooling? Or would it be better to re-build an older big block 440? I'm not wanting all the computers and O2 sencors anymore.

I'm hoping somebody can tell me which one would get the most horsepower for the best price.
I'm not new to racing and building engines but I know their are others out there that probably know more than me and has good advice.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Welcome to RF

Massive hp how much are you after? The 440 will not be a bolt in job not even close. So you are going carb?

OP
OP
txtrucker75

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I'm mostly looking for at least over 400hp, but not something that's going to burn up gas faster than I can put it in. And yes I am wanting to use a carb and not use fuel injectors. What are you meaning by its not a bolt in?

What would I need to do to the 440 to make at least 400hp to 500hp? Because I'm not sure what the 440 makes horsepower wise as in stock horsepower.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The 440 is not a bolt in job, custom motor mounts will be need to be made, not to sure it will bolt up to the 46re and it would kill it faster than you can blink if it did. The 46re tranny won't work without a pcm so you will need some type of new non pcm controlled tranny.

Your best bet is to build a carbed 408 small block Mopar and a nv4500 stick tranny.

Both of these motors will consume lots of gas no way around that. In this case you can't have your cake and eat it too.

OP
OP
txtrucker75

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Ok but my truck has an automatic tranny in it and I know there's ways to put a clutch in it. Will the 408 bolt right up to my motor mounts? And are the 408's easy to find? Not wanting a new one just something I can build?

But say if I stuck with my 360 what all would I need to do to it to make 400hp-500hp? I'm use to building fast motor for older dodges not a newer one.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Auto tranny with a clutch, I have not seen that in decades and was done to the 2 speed powerglide tranny's for racing.

The 408 is a stroker kit, crank, rods, pistons. You use the magnum block and stroke it out. So same motor mounts are used. If you have built old 360 La motors the magnum is just a newer better version of that motor.

To get 400-500 hp out of these heads, cam all of it needs to be modded out.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
To start with I strongly recommend not removing the FI. Why go back in technology and like merc said you'd have to go to a different trans 727 maybe. But again going backwards giving up a tcc and o/d.
Depending on the year the 440 will be high 200 to low 300 stock so will still require a lot of work to get the numbers you want so logically a 408 stroker build is best bang for your buck. And you can retain you FI

DodgeHimRamHer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hughes Engines. Google it. Call him. He can tell you exactly how to get the number your seeking power wise while maintaining FI

OP
OP
txtrucker75

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Ok that sounds good to me. I'd like to thank you for all your help and wisdom you have given me today, I truely appreciate it. But on my tranny would I need to upgrade my automatic tranny for that much power, and get me a posi track rear end? Would the headers for my 360 fit the new 408 or would I need to buy new ones? And what are your thoughts on turbocharger?

OP
OP
txtrucker75

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
And I'd like to say thank you to everyone who's given me some of their wisdom today

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You will need a built auto Patc is where to look. Yes you will need to upgrade the rear end, I would not go with the stock style LSD I would be looking at a Detroit Locker or a True track. Your headers will bolt up but depending on the main tube size you might want to upgrade.

Edit: For a stoker motor, blower motor, turbo motor, parts and hands down great info from them PIE Home Page

Last edited:

Dodge1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Without breaking the bank, you can easily get over 400 hp out of your 360. I'm rebuilding a 360 magnum to swap into my 84 dodge so I can tell you everything I've done so far

1. You're going to want new heads. Stock 360 heads are notorious for cracking, plus they don't flow. Here, take your pick:
Hughes Engines
Also I would get some ARP head bolts
Edit: you don't NEED new heads, everything I've read up on just suggests you get new heads, but if you're getting a more aggressive cam then you might want to

2. Get a better cam, call hughes engines and talk to dave, he'll tell you to answer these 19 questions, or at least know them, or most of them.
#2---Choosing a Cam

3. Depending on the cam, you're going to need to get springs to match. You don't need to run roller rockers either unless you really want to spend some $$$. You may also need to get a torque converter to match, but that just depends on the cam, like I said, talk to dave.

4. Headers. These are what I bought without breaking the bank:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9045/overview/make/dodge

5. Intake for carb, same exact one I bought.
Small Block V8 Mopar Crosswind Intake Manifold Satin
You don't need the edelbrock RPM air-gap, it's going in a truck, not a drag car. Save yourself some $.

6. The carb.
Summit Racing has a huge selection here, personally I'm going to get an edelbrock 4 barrel 650 cfm manual choke carb for my truck.

7. Check this kit out: pistons (with rings), oil pump, all the bearings (cam, main, and rod), plugs, timing chain, and gaskets.
Engine Rebuild Kit 1993 2001 Dodge Magnum 360 5 9L V8 | eBay

Any other advice, this site will help:
Magnumswap.com - Your source for Dodge Magnum and Mopar engine swap tech.
Here's a good article aswell:
How to Add 129hp to a 5.9l Mopar Magnum - Engine Buldup - Hot Rod Magazine

Edit: You're probably going to run into a lot more problems if you get rid of FI. Your truck has it already, I'd personally just keep it. I know for my truck I have to get a custom ground cam with an extended snout just to run the mechanical fuel pump, where they might have one already made to your specs for cheaper. Click here:
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/6hughesfiairgaptechtestimonials.php

Also, you're probably going to want to upgrade your gears to something lower, just remember to change both to match if it's a 4x4.

My .02 cents, keep your 360 magnum, going to a different motor is probably going to be a huge pain. You know your 360's going to work and everything is going to fit and match up right, just upgrade parts on it and you'll have a ton of power and torque

And like I said, this is just everything I'm personally doing, you don't have to listen to any of it, I'm really not an expert