needing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello all
first off ill start with truck info
1998 dodge ram 1500 i believe a 5.2 V8 auto with i believe 175,--- miles might not be exact

so now to the details and please forgive me for incorrect terminology

so a month ago there was a coolant leak in the water pump so i had that changed along with the fan clutch and thermostat. for about two weeks after that there wasn't much issues besides it sounded like the heater core inside the cab had some air bubbles in it and they would go away after about a minute of driving and everything was fine. but then 2 weeks ago I noticed a smell of coolant when plunging in the truck ( i live in ND and its been very very cold) so i looked and found a small leak on the upper part of the engine that looks like it is going into an area by the timing chain. not really a big deal not a bad leak just a little one so figure i could put that off for awhile. so i was going to make a long trip to Fargo so was topping off the fluid and decided to see where the coolant level was at inside the radiator and when i opened it up is was pressurized and a bit squirted out now this wouldn't be odd except the fact the truck was COLD hadn't ran in over 12 hours (this also happened today after only running it for 10 around town and shutting it off several times. the truck has also been having a hard time starting and staying started I must put on the gas a little bit to get the rpms up a little then let it drop. It has also died one me once as i was speeding up after a yeild and one today while backing up out of a parking spot. the truck starts right up after that with little to no problem. i dont know if the next issue is an issue or just me paying more attention but it seams like i have to put the rpms up higher then i was before (when i wasnt paying attention to the rpms) to get the power needed. any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello all
first off ill start with truck info
1998 dodge ram 1500 i believe a 5.2 V8 auto with i believe 175,--- miles might not be exact

so now to the details and please forgive me for incorrect terminology

so a month ago there was a coolant leak in the water pump so i had that changed along with the fan clutch and thermostat. for about two weeks after that there wasn't much issues besides it sounded like the heater core inside the cab had some air bubbles in it and they would go away after about a minute of driving and everything was fine. but then 2 weeks ago I noticed a smell of coolant when plunging in the truck ( i live in ND and its been very very cold) so i looked and found a small leak on the upper part of the engine that looks like it is going into an area by the timing chain. not really a big deal not a bad leak just a little one so figure i could put that off for awhile. so i was going to make a long trip to Fargo so was topping off the fluid and decided to see where the coolant level was at inside the radiator and when i opened it up is was pressurized and a bit squirted out now this wouldn't be odd except the fact the truck was COLD hadn't ran in over 12 hours (this also happened today after only running it for 10 around town and shutting it off several times. the truck has also been having a hard time starting and staying started I must put on the gas a little bit to get the rpms up a little then let it drop. It has also died one me once as i was speeding up after a yeild and one today while backing up out of a parking spot. the truck starts right up after that with little to no problem. i dont know if the next issue is an issue or just me paying more attention but it seams like i have to put the rpms up higher then i was before (when i wasnt paying attention to the rpms) to get the power needed. any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated
What mixture of antifreeze is in your cooling system? If it has too much water in it it will freeze and create presure. Sounds like the IAC to me try cleaning it not hard to do just 2 Torx screws and some sort of solvent and you can clean it. I tried cleaning mine but i ended up needing a new one. Good luck.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What mixture of antifreeze is in your cooling system? If it has too much water in it it will freeze and create presure. Sounds like the IAC to me try cleaning it not hard to do just 2 Torx screws and some sort of solvent and you can clean it. I tried cleaning mine but i ended up needing a new one. Good luck.

its 50/50 and today was above freezing and what is the IAC?
thanks for your response

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its 50/50 and today was above freezing and what is the IAC?
thanks for your response

Idle air control motor it adjusts airflow when your idling or when you hit the brakes etc. It's likely it isnt moving or is just sticky. It's at the back of the throttle body right below the air cleaner. Take your air cleaner off and look back behind the first thing you see from the top down is your IAC. Take it out and clean it if it doesn't work get a new one if you have the money to throw parts at your truck.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks again I will try that and thanks for the explanation

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
When cleaning the IAC pintle do not pull it, twist it or mess with it at all, just spray it off with carb cleaner and wipe it off gently. It is best to remove the TB and clean the IAC port as well.

Here this might help you find it.

Attachments

• mpi 019.jpg
    mpi 019.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 34

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
When cleaning the iac valve, spend the $30 to buy a new one and don't waste your time cleaning it. It never seems to be a long term fix. That's my 2 cents.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
When cleaning the iac valve, spend the $30 to buy a new one and don't waste your time cleaning it. It never seems to be a long term fix. That's my 2 cents.

I am still using the 18 year old IAC in my truck, just needs a cleaning every odd year or five.

Op if you do replace the IAC please reset the pcm, this should be done anytime you replace any sensor on these truck. Just remove the neg cable, hit the headlight switch (this will remove any parasitic volts left), hook the cable back up and run it up. It might take a bit for the pcm to relearn so don't freak if it runs rough or will not idle for a bit.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you guys much and that picture should definitely help! and now just to see if i can figure out exactly how to do this lol Thanks a bunch guys I shall post an update

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oh man thank you so much that should definitely save me a few $

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Good luck and post back what happens please. Lots of very smart people here to help you if you need it.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
few more questions

what lbs radiator cap is on your trucks?

what could cause the fluid to not drain into the over flow tank?

when i open the cap to me it looks like it should be putting a bit back into the overflow

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
14-18 lbs as per the FSM, I run a 16 lbs rad cap.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok and thanks had to ask and make sure that my 16lbs wasn't to much. Hopefully will be getting to the other issue this week since its nice out

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cleaned out the IAC today and there was allot of carbon build up on it. I went and run some aronds after words and it stared right up after each one and also seems to be not revving as much when i put on the gas to speed up it also didn't die on me so thank you guys so very much! and here's to hopping that its fixed. now on to the issue of the coolant and the coolant

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok got a issue again, its whistling until it warms up so wondering if i can spray carb cleaner into the hole that the regulator goes to clean that part out to?? it also over revs again when its whistling. im kinda thinking there is some build up inside that is making it stick a bit.
any ideas or help would be great
thanks again