New to rams, need advice/tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999piece

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 ram 1500
Engine
5.2l magnum
Hey guys new to the forum so bare with me. I've always been a ford guy but I found a nice 1999 ram and bought it today and I know a good amount about wrenching, but came here to see what dos/donts there are on these type of trucks.
I got a 99 1500 5.2l automatic 2wd, 173k all original. I want to make this truck last for a bit before I leave for the navy, so I was wondering if there were things I need to know and look out for on my truck/ common problems and fixes/ best way to improve performance.
Thanks guys!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
First off, Welcome to RF.

Secondly, read this: http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

Thirdly, I will provide a list of common problems associated with these trucks:

Blown plenums (link above)
Cracked dashes
headlight switches that get burnt up
wiper (multifunction) switches that get burnt up
**** headlights (lol)
transmissions that like to kill themselves via heat
rear ends that like to grenade due to clutch debris from the limited slip differential (if so equipped)
transfer cases that like to divorce their halves due to a little ring in the output shaft (not applicable to you)
clogged cats (caused by blown plenum)
cracked valve seats (caused by clogged cat)
sloppy steering

I think that covers it. I pulled all that off the top of my head since it's unorganized. lol
These trucks are really simple to work on and will reward you with a very nice vehicle if you keep them up. The gas mileage isn't great, but they will run forever.

Good luck and congratz with the new truck. :)

OP
OP

1999piece

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 ram 1500
Engine
5.2l magnum
Thanks a lot man! I'll look into that plenum thing (never even heard of that!) as soon as possible. By te way that's a beautiful 76 in your picture

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Good deal man. There is a lot of info in that there thread.

And thanks.

OP
OP

1999piece

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 ram 1500
Engine
5.2l magnum
Thanks guys. I'll post pics when I'm done painting her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01