New starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bannerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I figured out my old starting issue, which turned out to be the camshaft sensor, replaced it, drove it home from my folks' house (15 minutes of stop and go city traffic) and it dies in the parking lot at my apartment. No shake, no shudder, nothing. It starts right back up after it dies, runs for about 5-10 seconds, and cuts off again. I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it reads correctly. Pump comes on OK. NO CODES on the computer. Maybe it wasn't running long enough with the battery hooked back up to get one? Anyway, checked the IAC, it was terrible, replaced it, still doing this. I have to work tomorrow so any thoughts would be appreciated! 1995 Ram 4x2 5.9 bone stock.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
check the rotor in the distributor. I've seen where the spark has burned through the top of the plastic. Also check the distributor cap for moisture or carbon track also common.

Bad ignition switch possibly??

OP
OP
B

bannerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I found a rattling noise from the PCV valve before the truck cut off. I detached the hose from the PCV valve and it stayed running. It idles a little higher now (around 1000 RPM) in park, but drives fine and does not shut off. Could a PCV valve or a blocked hose really shut off my engine????

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It could cause enough of a vacuum leak of lack of back preasure and the computer could shut it down.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It could cause enough of a vacuum leak of lack of back preasure and the computer could shut it down.

Agreed. I replaced mine when I got my truck and it ran a LOT smoother and started easier after