No Start: Starter Not Engaging, Runs After Clutch Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmdsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I've been trying to get my 2001 2500 5.9L in tip top condition for a long trip. While diagnosing a bad A/C and repairing the e-brake, I may have caused some damage and now it won't start...or maybe it's coincidence.

After following the A/C power wire back to a large bundle of wires along the firewall, I tried to start the car to see if the A/C clutch would spin, but it wouldn't even turn over. Rearranged the same bundle of wires, gave the engine another shot and it started right up. Over the next 2 days, sometimes it would start with no issues but twice more I had to mess with that bundle of wires to get it to start (it's the bundle above and to the right of the distributor cap).

Last night I couldn't get the truck started no matter what I did under the hood. Clutch started it and was able to drive 25 miles home. Parked it, turned it off and immediately tried to start again, no go.

Tested the battery and alternator (12.5 and 14.6 when running) last week. Just now I swapped in a good battery and still no start. I checked under the dash where I'd been repairing the e-brake to make sure I didn't disconnect the clutch wire but everything looks good. Not sure where to go next. Would a bad crank sensor keep it from starting but then allow the truck to run after clutch start?

OP
OP
C

cmdsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I bench tested the starter and it works. But I did find that the small wire delivering the 12V supply is dead (connected a volt meter and turned the ignition). I followed it back to the connector by the battery, no voltage there either. That wire tracks back to the fuse box. The 30A fuse is not getting power either (when cranking). That's as far as I've gotten. My plan is to open up the fuse box and keep tracking the pathway. Any short cuts?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you try replacing the relay? Otherwise you probably have a disconnect somewhere in the system which would be pretty evident as it would arc on any kind of ground when hitting the starter.

OP
OP
C

cmdsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Did you try replacing the relay? Otherwise you probably have a disconnect somewhere in the system which would be pretty evident as it would arc on any kind of ground when hitting the starter.

I'm not sure where the relay is, but I'll test/replace as the next move. ***Just tested it, clicked and my test light came on when I applied 12V to pin 30.

So if I have someone hit the starter (at night?) while I'm under the hood, I should be able to see where the short is?

OP
OP
C

cmdsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
The short was not visible but I did eventually find that there was a ground that broke loose. Reattached and the truck started.

mmmdodgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Where did you find the broken ground? My starter seems to whine but that's it. engine won't even turn over, did your starter whine?