oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
hi, i was wondering if anyone could post a picture of how their transmission cooler lines run?

preferable a truck that has a factory auxillary cooler, along with the radiator one hooked up just like it is from the factory. Thanks :)

2001 Ram 5.9L 46RE if anyone cared.

:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

and a hadoken just cause....... just cause lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Looked through my folders of pictures, don't have any of the lines on hand at the moment but I can take some for you tomorrow if you'd like.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The following pictures are courtesy of Merc225hp and I will include my own as well.

In this picture, Mark has the factory checkvalve and quick release removed and disabled

2013-11-30_15-14-02_816_zpsbdb4a2d4.jpg

This is the line coming out of the radiator going to the aux cooler..

2013-11-30_15-14-22_225_zps8eafe03a.jpg

And this is the aux cooler

2013-11-30_15-14-42_358_zps5f1fc53e.jpg

Now for my pictures of my stock setup.

And you get my finger pointing at everything :D

This is the cooler line going into the radiator with the stock check valve

100_6019_zps2bb33fc1.jpg

Cooler line coming out of the radiator going into the aux cooler

100_6020_zpsf0595585.jpg

Radiator into aux cooler from the front

100_6021_zps726932fb.jpg

Aux cooler out to trans

100_6022_zpsb4701053.jpg

Aux cooler out to trans

100_6023_zps54e75155.jpg

Hope these help you. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
The following pictures are courtesy of Merc225hp and I will include my own as well.

Hope these help you. :)

Awesome! :) thank you so much. now i can properly hook up my lines. hopefully this will clear up my stalling in reverse issue.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I hope so as well. Just remember to check your fluid level with the truck hot and the transmission in neutral, adding fluid and waiting as necessary.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Awesome! :) thank you so much. now i can properly hook up my lines. hopefully this will clear up my stalling in reverse issue.

I don't think this will fix your problem. Please elaborate

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
start the truck up in the morning, or after 10 mins of sitting, put it in reverse, it stalls. not like a lock up and stalls, kinda like it loses spark or kind of stall. no lights come on the dash, and it will start right back up.

start it up in the morning or after sitting, put it into neutral for a few seconds, reverse works fine.

start it up ANYTIME and put it in drive, works perfectly.

start it up in the morning, and let it idle in park to warm up. i can never get reverse to work until after i go in drive for a good 20-30 feet. I can even put it in neutral and it doesn't matter, it wont stay running in reverse.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
That's just odd, gotta think about this one. Of course change the line like you planned I hope it works for you.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
That's just odd, gotta think about this one. Of course change the line like you planned I hope it works for you.

other than that the transmission is flawless. shifts great, torque converter locks up at 40mph on light throttle

i'm hoping it's not the torque converter or the converter oil pump.

i purchased a TFOD jr shift kit which says it helps prevent drainback and a reverse stalling issue. $30 for the shift kit. idk how much to put it in. i dont trust myself inside an autotrans.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Nether do I lol, I understand how they work but I don't work on them. Hopefully someone with auto tranny experience can help you out.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Those shift kits usually replace parts in the valve body. Should be able to find some good videos on youtube regarding pulling the valve body.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Those shift kits usually replace parts in the valve body. Should be able to find some good videos on youtube regarding pulling the valve body.

still not touching it XD

i have no problem tearing apart an engine. auto transmissions are a whole nother story XD but i have a feeling when i take it to a shop to put it, i'm going to ask to put a new TC and pump in just to be safe. and a band adjustment.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
still not touching it XD

i have no problem tearing apart an engine. auto transmissions are a whole nother story XD but i have a feeling when i take it to a shop to put it, i'm going to ask to put a new TC and pump in just to be safe. and a band adjustment.

Well, if that's the case you're going to pay out the ass for that as they have to pull the entire trans. case to replace the TC and quite possibly the pump, those I think the pump is accessible from the underside.

Having been into my transmission myself, I can tell you it's easy as pie to get to the valve body: you drop the pan/fluid, pull the filter and BOOM. There it is.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Well, if that's the case you're going to pay out the ass for that as they have to pull the entire trans. case to replace the TC and quite possibly the pump, those I think the pump is accessible from the underside.

Having been into my transmission myself, I can tell you it's easy as pie to get to the valve body: you drop the pan/fluid, pull the filter and BOOM. There it is.

have to pull the TC to get to the pump. unbolts from the front and pulls straight out.

i know HOW to pull the valve body and all. drop pan, unbolt filter, unbolt the valve body, pull down to not lose the spring and parking rod or something, then open the valve body and yeah.

i have to drill a passage in the VB to make it flow fluid in park and i'm not that "neat" to keep it clean enough when i put it back together.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
have to pull the TC to get to the pump. unbolts from the front and pulls straight out.

i know HOW to pull the valve body and all. drop pan, unbolt filter, unbolt the valve body, pull down to not lose the spring and parking rod or something, then open the valve body and yeah.

i have to drill a passage in the VB to make it flow fluid in park and i'm not that "neat" to keep it clean enough when i put it back together.

So it's that part that has you worried then. :D
I'd say just get a new drill bit for that task before you started. It's still gonna be major expensive though.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Ok it is time to give this thread closure.

After 10 months of the reverse stalling issue (and backfiring through intake) i have finally fixed the problem :)

The culprit was the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

what a pain in the ass to replace. My fiancee helped a lot as her hands are smaller than mine. (found the best way to access it was to pull out the passenger fender liner and reach in between the frame and fender and use a box wrench.

now why the sensor made it stall in reverse is beyond me. the contacts on the end were really rusted and pitted so i'm sure it was throwing the timing off which could essentially cause it to stall, yet it never did in drive.

but i'm glad i can finally give this thread closure. so a mod may close this thread permanently now if you desire.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
guys, why did this get moved to the 1st gen forum? my truck is clearly a 2nd gen ram.