Oil Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
So, I started a thread like this over on SEM...just wanted to get yalls thoughs on what filters YOU choose to use. I was using Fram, but after hearing some of the horror stories with leaf spring failures and such, this weekend when I change my oil I am going with a NAPA Gold (Wix Filter)...a good site that has compared some of the filters to the NAPA filters can be found in the link below...I call it a good site, because it lets you draw your own conclusions as to what filter should be the best and doesnt say this is better or whatever...

NapaGold Oil Filter vs MicroGuard Oil Filter Comparison: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been using the Mopar 1090 or whatever it is

OP
OP
A

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah the MOPAR is made by Purolator...
EDIT: from what I have gathered off the web, it is made by Purolator, however, the info I found COULD be outdated and they could be made by somebody else now.

Last edited:

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive heard that before adam i believe you are correct.

OP
OP
A

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
The only real thing I can find in the comparison with the NAPA Gold filter is the anti drain back valve material...but it still utilizes the coil spring rather than the ****** leaf spring...which is good....

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured if it was good enough for mopar, its good enough for me. I think as long as you change the oil religiously than the filter doesnt matter too much.

OP
OP
A

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I figured if it was good enough for mopar, its good enough for me. I think as long as you change the oil religiously than the filter doesnt matter too much.

actually not true...filters are very commonly over looked and failure of that $3.29 part can RUIN your engine.

Lets just say some carbon breaks off into your combustion chamber...it makes it's way to the pan. it breaks up enough to pass through the screen on your oil pump...since oil holds dirt and carbon in suspense, it will flow with it. If the filter you are using has a built in bypass and it fails, no oil goes to your engine, thus killing it....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I bought 2 cases of the Mopar ones for my truck but have also used the Napa Gold ones. Frams used to be on my beater but after seeing one cut open just for fun I went to the Napas on that.

OP
OP
A

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah, not only the NAPA Gold line is made by WIX, but also the NAPA NASCAR Select and the NAPA Select...also the Carquest Blue line of filters are made by Wix....

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Most of the time I go with whats on sale..... But I stay away from Fram, period. I think Im running a Mobil 1 on the Ram and a purolator on the 'Rango...... or vice versa, lol.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
My 2 Cents Fram is a no Go!

The Wix IMO are Quality and the MOPAR you cannot go wrong. I use the K&N HP2004 cause it has that cool 1" nut on it and I like the ease of removal and don't mind payin 12 Bucks for one. Old motor so I use Quakerstate 5W30 High RPM Semi-Synthetic as the accompanying OIl (JUst FYI).

OP
OP
A

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing I can find disheartening with thr K&N is the use of the leaf spring rather than a coil spring....

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
mopar 090 since ive had it, almost 90k miles with no problems

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
k&n oil filter is what i use. i just like the antidrainback and the nut on the bottom. i have been using them for years.

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Hell, as matter of fact, I might be running a Mopar filter on one of my rigs. My last oil change I got everything from Walmart (that just sounds so wrong) and they carry the Mopar filters.... Short-term memory loss FTL!!! :)

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yup^^^^ that they do, they even carry the furd stuff so my brother gets his stuff there too, and 25 bucks for 5qts mobil 1 full synth