Oil gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfloyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
My oil gauge has been fluctuating the oil level is fine and i chganed my oil to see if that would fix the problem. Would the oil pressure sensor possibly cause this it never drops to 0 just floats from normal to low

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
It's possible the sender is doing this, but i'd also trace along the harness to make sure there isn't any damage to the wire that could cause this issue.

OP
OP
T

tfloyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Ok I'll do that it just started doing this a few weeks ago I hope it's the oil pressure sensor not really looking forward to having to change the pump out mainly because it's harder to get the oil pan out of the way then it is to change the pump itself ha.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There are quite a few things that can cause your problem. If you're lucky, it's simply a faulty sender but if it's not, you're looking at more in-depth stuff.

It is a common issue in our engines for the oil pickup screen to become clogged over time which results in the oil pump not being able to supply ample volume and can cause pressure issues. The pump itself could be failing to move enough volume and causing low oil pressure but it could also be worn bearings. Remember, the oil pump only moves volume. It's the tightness of the oil passageways and bearings that generates pressure. Moving volume + restriction = pressure and pressure = velocity and velocity = travel. Basically, you need pressure to ensure that oil travels throughout the engine and provides ample lubrication to all of the moving metal-on-metal stuff.

If you want to be sure, rent an oil pressure tester from your local parts store. It screws into place of the pressure sender and then just run the engine and note what the tester is reading. Hot oil pressure at idle isn't very much in our engines, something like a few or maybe several PSI. Peak oil pressure should occur at 3,000 RPM and it should be something between 30-40 PSI in a stock engine. I'm sure someone here has more exact numbers.

mechanicmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just a quick heads up before you tackle the horrible job of the sending unit. I had this same issue on my 98 ram with the 5.9 V8. whenever I turned right going over 10 mph the gauge would drop to 0, then hop back up to just under 40. After ordering a new oil pump, rod bearings ( might as well while the pans down) and sending unit, I noticed the intake pcv vacuum hose port was wet with oil. So I pulled the hose out, and when I pulled the pcv valve I noticed it was dirty and sticking shut when blown into. This was a new pcv valve, only a few months old. So I cleaned it and the hose out thoroughly, didn't even mess with the oil sending unit, plugged everything back in, did an oil change and noticed I was 2-3 quarts low (the gauge was accurate, I was low on oil when it turned and the oil went away from the pickup tube). After that, started it up. Oil pressure was back above 40 and when driving it stays between about 35-50. Problem solved.

mechanicmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also, if it is a bad sender, just break off the top plastic half of the sender while plugged in, just above the metal part. Makes it a whole lot easier to unplug the connector due to that little red safety pin that you will break before getting the connector off. This way you can bring the top half up to you & quite possibly save the connector, which is highly breakable. Then use the oil pressure socket to get the metal part off. Makes a 45 minute job about a 15 minute breeze.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Why the hell would you drive any vehicle that was 2-3 quarts low on oil? :badidea: Oil pressure is not an indicator of oil level. "mechanicmark" that's funny!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, if the oil level gets too low, the pump may suck the sump dry and that'll certainly cause a drop in pressure.

Also, he noted that his oil pressure momentarily dropped when cornering. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue but if the level is low enough, I imagine that it could expose the oil pickup.

The main question I'd be asking right now is where did the oil go?