Oil pressure problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McMaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad replaced the 360 in his 1996 Ram with one he just rebuilt. The engine runs fine, but once it warms up the oil pressure drops to zero at idle. If you rev it up it will go up to 20+ PSI (still low). We've replaced the oil pump, checked the main and rod bearings - they still look new, and checked with a mechanical oil pressure gauge to be sure it wasn't a gauge issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Either the pickup tube is plugged up or there is excessive clearances in the bearings. I hate to say it but the engine is not serviceable and shouldn't be driven till its corrected.

Just because the bearing look new doesn't mean there isn't excessive clearance between them. You would have to remove the crank and measure the crank and con's for proper size.

Howells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Did you change the sump when you did the pump. Make sure the other rings from the sump to the pump are good and clean the sump out. I would start there.

OP
OP
M

McMaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We didn't replace the sump. I think that's where we'll start. My dad's so frustrated with it, that he just wants to drive it 'til it blows. I would rather pull it and rebuild it to be certain that it's right.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
The most common problem I have had on rebuilds with no oil pressure is too much play in main bearings. I'd pull it drop your pan and plasti gauge a couple of mains and a couple of rods while you got it out. Go ahead and do your pickup and screen while your flipped over.
Remember it is the little things like bearing clearance that bites you in the ass on rebuilds.