oil pressure problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
my 99 ram 2500 with a 5.9 magnum usually never goes above half on the oil pressure guage, and has never burned a drop of oil. lately when i start it for the first time of the day and whenever its been shut off for more than 4 hours the oil pressure is almost all the way up on the guage than after about 20 minutes of driving is goes down to just below half where is normally sits. ever since this started it has been eating about a quart of oil every 1000-1500km. i checked my pcv valve and it was stuck open, replaced it and the issue is still there.
Anybody have any idea what might be causing this, the truck has 300k on it and has only ever had full synthetic and changed every 5k km on the dot.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like your intake plenum gasket is history though I'm surprised it made it to 300,000 before going. I suppose even with the plenum repair, the gasket will go eventually.

Going by the gauge conditions, your oil pressure is fine. My gauge reads exactly like yours and I've got a new Sealed Power pump and a plenum repair. No knocks or ticks here.

OP
OP

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
ive been planning on doing the plenum gasket for long time, a lot of people are surprised that its made it to 300k with pretty much no issues with the rough life its had being driven by workers that dont give a ****

OP
OP

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
i get about 500km to a tank hauling all my equipment around, and thats with no o2 sensor hooked up

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Your plenum has killed itself. It decided to end it all.

As for the oil pressure, its fine. Mine runs midway at idle, it easily climbs to 3/4 under acceleration. Redlining in first puts that bad boy near red on the oil pressure gauge.

From my measurements with an oil pressure gauge hooked up in place of the vehicle sensor, I run about 40psi at idle and near 60 under normal operating conditions. Its only a problem if it starts to drop below 1/4 for any length of time.