Ok can someone school me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok I know a lot about how engines work and functions and all that. But one thing that I need to go shopping for this winter for next years upgrade is heads and a cam. Now I don't understand anything about cams or heads. I know durations and how they work. But what do I need to be looking for? I know one of my heads is either cracked or has issues. I only have 115 psi in that cylinder. Not bad but enough I think it's time to upgrade. So What kind of cam and heads should I get?

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Been looking at the iron ram heads on hughes. But not sure if they are worth the 700 plus bucks.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
cam-alot of it has to do with how you use your truck. towing,in town, highway. the best thing to do is call someone like hughes or krc (watson performance) and tell them what you are looking for and they will lead you down the right path. i have spent many,many,many hours researching on the puter and all kinds of forums and sites looking for personal experiences. and i finally found one that was in the ball park of what i wanted. i dont think it is the perfect one, but should be ok.cause i know what direction i am headed with my truck.

heads-here are the ones i am probably going to go with. also gonna take them and have them ported and polished. a few people have bought these with good luck. already to install(besides port and polish) with 2.02 valves and springs good to .600 lift.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was worried about getting some ebay heads cause I wasn't sure of the type of springs and valves that I may need. So I think I'm gonna save myself some headache and call around to some shops and see what they recommend.

As far as what I use my truck for... Well I use it for all things. Town Highway Towing Hauling Pulling You name it. So I need an all around setup that will give good low end torque with good hp numbers along with some descent mileage. I know it's a truck so Mileage isn't always an option. So I just needed to know where to start.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I'm going to start calling and emailing around to check on heads, cam, intake, and maybe some headers. So what I need now from you guys is where do you all suggest the best parts place is. I know moes has had some issues. But I'm looking for knowledgeable people to help me pick the right setup. So sound off guys where should I call to get some info on what cam intake and heads to get.

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
dude you have a 5.9 i get 8 in town w/o ever seeing a highway
so your basically fooked when it come to mileage

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know. Right now im pullin 11 in town and 12 or 14 highway. so I am not lookin to gain mpg numbers but I don't want my mpg to be like 5. lol I still want to be able to drive the dam thing. lol

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol I dunno I just do. I used to pull 16 on the highway before my head got messed up. those were the days lol

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
000 any pref mods?
i'm running intake exhaust and sc3865 so i know why i have ****** gas

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol ummm plenum fix and SC 3715 in towing mode. That's it. Well FM 40 series SI / DO thats it.

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
i checked and my plenum is still holding up so i was stoked i may have to try tow mode
how does it feel compared to 93 tune?

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Tell ya the truth on the high end I notice no difference. I have tried all 3 87 tow and 91 and Didn't really notice any difference. 91 made it rev up a little faster but the power was the same as towing. IMO. And the 87 to me felt like the stock tune. So I just leave it on towing. Still gives me good take off and still enough top end. I also have 87 in the tank.

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
me too but the 91 tune
i did do the gas saver tune for a while and it accelerates like a **** till 50 and the end of 1st

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds similar except mine wouldn't accelerate that well at WOT so I don't run it any more.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
Tell ya the truth on the high end I notice no difference. I have tried all 3 87 tow and 91 and Didn't really notice any difference. 91 made it rev up a little faster but the power was the same as towing. IMO. And the 87 to me felt like the stock tune. So I just leave it on towing. Still gives me good take off and still enough top end. I also have 87 in the tank.

u know the tow tune requires 91 right?

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
yea says that. But I haven't had any issues runnin 87. I ran it with the 91 in there and didn't see a difference between. i know that it is supposed to cause pinging but I hadn't had any issues.

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
yea says that. But I haven't had any issues runnin 87. I ran it with the 91 in there and didn't see a difference between. i know that it is supposed to cause pinging but I hadn't had any issues.

same with me.
running the 91 tune on 87

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea the tuner notifies me that 91 is reccomended for this tune I think. Maybe it says requires. Not sure on the wording.