Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Overdrive issues

This is a discussion on Overdrive issues within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Im having a pretty big issue with my 95 1500 5.9. I just got it a few months ago for ...

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1995
Engine: 5.9
Default Overdrive issues
Im having a pretty big issue with my 95 1500 5.9. I just got it a few months ago for $450.00 but the truck had no interior and you had to open the hood and stick a wire in where the starter relay was to start it but dispite having 190k on the odometer it runs like brand new. BUT, after i got it home after the test drive i realized that when the tranny shifts into overdrive, the entire truck starts shaking like hell like it wants to kill you. But im wondering if it is a big deal because as long as i remember to turn overdrive off, the truck shifts perfectly fine and operates like it should. Ive tried looking all over this forum and many others and ive gotten answers from a bad driveshaft to unbalanced tires (ive changed them already and the problem is still there) to bad motor mounts so im still left scratching my head as to what the issue is. Also i put two bottles of that Lucas oil transmission fix stuff in there and that seemed to help a bit with the shaking but its just as bad now

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Blackbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
Lucas doesn't do anything but clog things and hide problems for a few weeks.

Fluid and filter change to start. But if its doing that in overdrive only, i'd suspect something with the overdrive clutch. Without investigating, if it drives fine with O/D off, run it like that for now. I'm thinking its time for a rebuild or replacement at 190K with an original trans. No harm will come from running it with O/D off.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L V8
Yeah sounds like your overdrive unit is grenaded. Run od off for awhile until you can get the trans rebuilt or replaced or at the very least the overdrive unit. Fluid and filter as above, NOTHING but atf+4 in these

2001 Ram 1500 QCSB, 2" HBS level 285/70/17 Toyo OpenCountry AT2s, M1 2bbl, F&B 52x55mm TB, Pacesetter Longtube headers, 18" Magnaflow, M1 91 Octane canned tune by FlyinRyan, remote start, HS 1.7 RRs, Custom RetroFit 6500K HID
dapepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
My truck used to shake like an SOB whenever it shifted into overdrive. It also suffered from multiple cylinder misfires that got to the point where the CEL would start flashing whenever I went heavy on the throttle.

Ultimately, both problems were resolved when my intake plenum was fixed.

If by chance the transmission turns out to be fine, dump the fluid ASAP. Lucas "fixes" are what you dump into the engine/transmission when you're trying to squeeze every last mile from a dying system that you have no intention of fixing. In a healthy system, all they'll do is gum things up.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT Laramie
American Racing Nitro, K&N open element, modified 50mm, 2.25" y-pipe, Magnaflow cat, Cherry Bomb Extreme, tuned by Flyin' Ryan, Hughes plenum repair, steering stabilizer, 4x4 Posi-Lok
Yeret is offline   Reply With Quote