Pcm no bus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Changing my 318 pcm for a 360 pcm. First one i had would start then stall and give no bus message. Got a second one and it runs fine but every light is on the dash amd no bus message. Ive rewrote the vin into the 360 pcm and still no bus. Runs perfect with the 318 pcm with no lights so I know it's something with the pcm. Could I just have a dud pcm twice over or am I missing something?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
First of all, the 318 and 360 computers are not interchangeable. Fuel mapping and ignition timing are different between the two.

Generally, engine stalling and "No bus" is a problem with the computer, however in this case it could simply be your attempting to use a non-compatible ECU. There also might be some programming differences between the years but there are others who know more about that than me.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
What year are the pcms coming out of?

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i were to buy a remanufactured pcm for my exact truck but with a 5.9, is there anything else that has to be programmed aside from the vin?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
There were several differences between 98 and 01. Run a 00 or 01 pcm.

If using 360pcm because you swapped the 5.2 for a 5.9, no issues. If you're still running a 5.2, just run the correct program

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Correct dap, Cadillac it has to be from the same size engine otherwise you'll have major problems like yeret said, they have different idle air fule mappings. It will never work dude, sorry for putting a damper on your day bud, good luck.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Actually it will work but not correctly. Many people swap to the 5.9, assume nectar they're pretty similar that the tuning is the same or that its "self- adjusting" and run 360s with 318 PCMs. However, due to different cam shafts, strokes and bores they do require a different program for proper operation. They do adjust within a very specific spread of variables but it's not much. If it was crazy as some success there'd be no such thing as custom tuning because you'd be able to do whatever mods you wanted and it would "adjust". You will see more accurate air/fuel ratios in all conditions and more power using the correct program

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Actually it will work but not correctly. Many people swap to the 5.9, assume nectar they're pretty similar that the tuning is the same or that its "self- adjusting" and run 360s with 318 PCMs. However, due to different cam shafts, strokes and bores they do require a different program for proper operation. They do adjust within a very specific spread of variables but it's not much. If it was crazy as some success there'd be no such thing as custom tuning because you'd be able to do whatever mods you wanted and it would "adjust". You will see more accurate air/fuel ratios in all conditions and more power using the correct program

See and I'm thinking that the ci's have to be the same but I learned somthing new today.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
See and I'm thinking that the ci's have to be the same but I learned somthing new today.

They do but they don't. Correct program goes a long way but they'll both run each other long as they're within the right year range. Or you can swap, keep your pcm and run a 360 pcm tune with sct and it'll basically be like you swapped it

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya cuz right now the 360 pcm will run it good, but no 4th gear and all the dash lights are on. The 318 pcm is definitely running it lean. Gives a bad stumble when cold and a little bit when warm. But there is a huuuge difference running the 5.9 pcm

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If the 5.9 runs good then just have it programmed so it will communicate with the tcm.

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So then if I get a used pcm for the exact truck except 5.9 then all I should have to do is put the vin into it and all should be good then correct?

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately a 3 hr drive for me so it's cheaper to get a plug n play pcm I think

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No, It will still need to be flashed for the two modules to communicate. sorry.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
98 pcm into 01

You would need an 99 or newer pcm. The 98 is different than the newer controller. Or someone with the ability to tune the pcm to correct for the communication differences.

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya kind of figuring that out lol. I got a matching year pcm coming tomorrow from a wrecker. Hopefully that'll fix it up

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapped out the pcm with another one and everything wprks perfect. Got a pcm to match my year and that was the ticket. Thanks for all the help folks. Much appreciated.

Rammythe2ndgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so any suggestions for my 5.9 swap im having a no bus with no gauge reading my fuel pump constantly runs. but the truck run fine