PCM swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eliwab22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I currently am running a 99 5.9 off of the original 98 5.2 PCM, however I have a 01 5.9 PCM will it be better to swap that one in or leave the original? I'm kinda clueless and any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
I feel like the 01 will be better. Really your best choice would be to get the PCM for the right year and engine but running the 01 will at least give you a PCM for the same engine instead of a smaller one

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll want to use the 01 PCM. The 98 you're using is setup for a smaller engine. The year difference wont be much of a problem when they're so close, just displacement. You're only putting enough fuel in for the 5.2 engine, the computer will see the lean condition in the O2 sensors and will try to compensate by adding more fuel.

The other problem is the cams between the 5.9 and 5.2 are slightly different. Even though it'll be adding more fuel to get the balance right, it still doesn't know the timing for the valves is off ever so slightly. Will it really matter, not a ton, but it'll likely run a bit hotter on the exhaust which could cause extra wear on the exhaust valve, exhaust valve seat or valve stem seals.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
01 might not get along great. Transmission sensor differences. You can try it but overall i would recommend greeting the proper year

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Dappeper mentioned the sensors, you will have to replace a couple in the trans, he'd know better than I would about which ones.

It really does depend on what is cheaper/easier and which you prefer. Personally, I can get 01 sensors for the trans much cheaper than a 98-99 PCM, almost 1/3rd the price for the sensors. If I was in your position, i'd put the 01 in and get new sensors.

However, if you can get the proper 98-99 PCM for about the same price as the sensors, or even for a little more, it's worth it just to not have to drop the trans pan and mess with it all.

Its up to what you can get price wise and how much work you want to do, or you can get a tune.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500