Pcv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I'm new to the gas engine 2nd Gens. I picked up a 2001 318 and it had an aftermarket cold air intake. I picked up a factory air box at the JY from an older 2nd Gen. The thing is that most of the JY trucks are older and have a breather on the DS valve cover and the PCV on the PS valve cover. My truck has the PCV on the DS and an elbow on the PS.

I DO have a FSM but it hasn't been a lot of help yet for routing the lines. I found some stuff about the 360 HDC engine and an air pump which doesn't apply.

Do I just run a hose from the PS elbow to the airbox?

Thanks

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
It's just a breather so that should work.

This is off topic, but I'm having some issues with my 318 dipstick, it only goes in until (I would say it gets to the block) and then wants to bind. I've rotated it 360 trying to get it in there, but no go, just wondering if you've had a similar experience?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be a breather tube on the side of the intake manifold that the elbow would attach to. Or at least mine does. I have a 97 318 with elbow on the ps valve cover and pvc on driver side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
My 318 had a tube from that elbow into the air cleaner IIRC. Sold that truck, haven't gotten the new one yet so I can't look at it and tell you.

OP
OP
C

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There should be a breather tube on the side of the intake manifold that the elbow would attach to. Or at least mine does. I have a 97 318 with elbow on the ps valve cover and pvc on driver side

How does the engine get to "breathe"? If the elbow goes to the intake and the PCV goes to the intake.

Are you sure the elbow doesn't go into the airbox?

Just trying to figure this out.

Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driver side had a hookup on the intake box from the valve cover from the pcv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I did a little more reading in the FSM.

The crankcase breather/filter is no longer used with the 3.9L, 5.2L or 5.9L engine.

All 3.9L V-6 and 5.2L/5.9L V-8 gas powered engines are equipped with a closed crankcase ventilation system and a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve.

This system consists of a PCV valve mounted on the cylinder head (valve) cover with a hose extending from the valve to the intake manifold. Another hose connects the opposite cylinder head (valve) cover to the air cleaner housing to provide a source of clean air for the system. A separate crankcase breather/filter is not used.

Ok then. I was just going to hook the elbow to the air box and that is exactly how it's supposed to go.

Thanks everyone for your input.