Is this PCV Valve or Purge? & Vacuum Line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NuocMamInMyshoes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l Magnum
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8 as a project fixer upper.

Can someone tell me if #1 in the picture is my PCV valve?

Also how would I find out the vacuum line size in #2 that I need to replace?

In Picture
#1 Is that my PCV valve?

#2 What size vacuum line is that?

Picture:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzlttobB8rUrMmh4dWE2dWVtVE0

Got it for cheap, and I'm repairing it as a hobby. :favorites13:
open

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8 as a project fixer upper.

Can someone tell me if #1 in the picture is my PCV valve?

Also how would I find out the vacuum line size in #2 that I need to replace?

In Picture
#1 Is that my PCV valve?

#2 What size vacuum line is that?

Picture:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzlttobB8rUrMmh4dWE2dWVtVE0

Got it for cheap, and I'm repairing it as a hobby. :favorites13:
open

The PCV valve is located on the driver side valve cover, it is distinguishable by a 90 degree elbow. The vacuum diagram on the upper radiator support bar should give some insight as to what that is. Without going and looking, I couldn't tell you.

The second is vacuum lines to all your vacuum systems, such as vent control, 4x4, etc. You can just get some clear fuel line and heat it up, then slide the broken lines into either end on a 1/4in section of clear fuel line. Or you can get some rubber vacuum line to slide over it (vacuum line will resist crushing in on itself under high vacuum pressures, whereas normal line will collapse quite easily once warm). I haven't had much luck pulling the plastic tube out and replacing it, it always snaps off in the rubber connector.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Large line in question is indeed the PCV hose. The position of the hose on either side depended on year. A majority of trucks had it on the passenger side.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Large line in question is indeed the PCV hose. The position of the hose on either side depended on year. A majority of trucks had it on the passenger side.

Isn't there a hose on either side? One going to the manifold from the PCV valve, and the other coming from after the air filter but before the throttle body to source clean air for the crankcase.

OP
OP
N

NuocMamInMyshoes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l Magnum
Thanks guys, I replaced the vacuum lines with some I got from autozone. I also replaced the PCV valve (which was completely broken)

Truck is working great now!

The PCV valve is located on the driver side valve cover, it is distinguishable by a 90 degree elbow. The vacuum diagram on the upper radiator support bar should give some insight as to what that is. Without going and looking, I couldn't tell you.

The second is vacuum lines to all your vacuum systems, such as vent control, 4x4, etc. You can just get some clear fuel line and heat it up, then slide the broken lines into either end on a 1/4in section of clear fuel line. Or you can get some rubber vacuum line to slide over it (vacuum line will resist crushing in on itself under high vacuum pressures, whereas normal line will collapse quite easily once warm). I haven't had much luck pulling the plastic tube out and replacing it, it always snaps off in the rubber connector.

Do you think Electrical Tape would suffice? I've got the tubes overlapping eachother pretty tightly... not suter If I wanna melt them together though, afraid I might ruin it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Isn't there a hose on either side? One going to the manifold from the PCV valve, and the other coming from after the air filter but before the throttle body to source clean air for the crankcase.

Yeah but placement varies on year.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Thanks guys, I replaced the vacuum lines with some I got from autozone. I also replaced the PCV valve (which was completely broken)

Truck is working great now!

Do you think Electrical Tape would suffice? I've got the tubes overlapping eachother pretty tightly... not suter If I wanna melt them together though, afraid I might ruin it.

Short term sure, but electric tape will eventually peel off unless you use the good stuff. Dont melt them, too much chance of just melting them shut.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I thought pcv valve on passenger side of 5.2l valve cover.what & how did you replace vacuum lines?
also I used liquid spray electrical tape" and it seals like good!

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You do realize this thread is almost 4 years old. The OP has never been back.