Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmoseley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8 2wd. I just replaced my oil pump and now I have a loud engine noise coming from under the engine as soon as I turn it on. I don't know what's wrong and would love some advise on diagnosing the sound. My funds are non existent and it's my daily driver but for now I can't drive it with that sound becuase I don't want to further damage any thing.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Did you prime the oil pump before you installed it? What did the oil psi gauge read when you did run it?

OP
OP
T

Tmoseley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
Yes I did prime the pump. It was reading somewhere in the mid 50s. I had a friend of mine who worked in a dodge house durning these year models diagnose what the loud/grinding sound engine was. It turned out to be the transmission cover scrapping against the fly wheel. I took it off and bent it out, slapped it back on and now it's running as good as ever and has plenty of oil pressure!!! Thanks for the time and help!!!