Plenum Gasket: What is it, where is it and what should I do about it? *INFO*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Any update?

I dropped my truck off at this different shop wednesday at 12 pm. For a diagnostic. They said it will be done today (Friday). When they call I will update. Thanks for asking! I have been very impatient waiting, just anxious to know what's wrong.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
The shop just called. The manifold gasket is blown. Also the truck is running on 7 cylinders and are running great. Just 1 isn't. He thinks its a piston or a ring. He said he doesn't feel that I need a new engine and he can repair this one. Now unless that 1 cylinder is egg shaped then we have a new issue but he said he just doesn't see that being the case since the other 7 are great. He said it will cost between 1250-1500$ I said go ahead and fix it. Thank you to everyone who has helped me.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The shop just called. The manifold gasket is blown. Also the truck is running on 7 cylinders and are running great. Just 1 isn't. He thinks its a piston or a ring. He said he doesn't feel that I need a new engine and he can repair this one. Now unless that 1 cylinder is egg shaped then we have a new issue but he said he just doesn't see that being the case since the other 7 are great. He said it will cost between 1250-1500$ I said go ahead and fix it. Thank you to everyone who has helped me.

It's more than likely one of the rear cylinders that has gone out. I would wager it's either a spark issue or a fuel injector issue on that one cylinder.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Odds are good that, that one cyld has a cracked valve seats.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
It's more than likely one of the rear cylinders that has gone out. I would wager it's either a spark issue or a fuel injector issue on that one cylinder.

Odds are good that, that one cyld has a cracked valve seats.

thanks for the reply's. I will update once I find out more. I'm excited..so far...lol(better than 2-3k)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
since I am here I might as well post some pics of my truck. its a 97 on 9" lift. 38" tires. I am wanting to go to 40s once I get this engine straightened out.

2nu2emo.jpg
2yvtels.jpg

Edit: I probably should have put this in a different category. Sorry, admin you can move it where it needs to go.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Oh wow. You bought a truck that has definitely had some love put into it. You have a half ton with 3/4 ton truck axles on it. Good buy. :D

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Looks so nice, wish I could 'like' it twice!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Oh wow. You bought a truck that has definitely had some love put into it. You have a half ton with 3/4 ton truck axles on it. Good buy. :D

are you using sarcasm or being serious? lol I know the rearend came out of a 91 k3500

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No, I'm serious. The amount of time and money to lift a truck that much and put Dana 60s in it is impressive.

Agreed.

91 K3500, GM 14 bolt rear end in it er? What gears ya runnin for such huge tires? I wouldnt have anything less then 5.38 for sure.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
No, I'm serious. The amount of time and money to lift a truck that much and put Dana 60s in it is impressive.

Ahh thanks yeah the guy said there was some SERIOUS time and $$ involved in the suspension and what not. the transmission is custom with a shift kit as well. First time I have heard of a shift kit and its pretty cool

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Could always put it in neutral, **** the front tires, jack the rear up, mark the drive shaft and one tire, spin it and count the rotations on the driveshaft.

*edit*
I just realized we're spamming up the info thread. Whoops.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Could always put it in neutral, **** the front tires, jack the rear up, mark the drive shaft and one tire, spin it and count the rotations on the driveshaft.

*edit*
I just realized we're spamming up the info thread. Whoops.

ROFL weve never done that before! :rofl: