Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Plenum Gasket: What is it, where is it and what should I do about it? *INFO*

This is a discussion on Plenum Gasket: What is it, where is it and what should I do about it? *INFO* within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Great post guys, lots of info! If I may add a bit, when changing the plenum gasket you may as ...

Like Tree24Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2010
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Great post guys, lots of info! If I may add a bit, when changing the plenum gasket you may as well just do a full tune-up and replace commonly wearing parts on these trucks. I'm looking at you water pump and timing "chain"! Always recommend a new dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires, a new front o2 sensor, a new catalytic convertor, a new water pump and a good double roller timing set. The o2 and cat are a good idea because if your plenum is blown, all the burning will foul your o2 and cause poor mileage (well poorer then usual LOL), and a clogged cat, as DD94 said, will lead to cracked heads if left long enough! Water pumps areknown to go in these and your just a few bolts more from pulling it so might as well. Then you're at the timing cover so may as well pull it and install a real chain in there. Stock ones stretch over time. Seafoam when done! My 2 cents.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L V8
Originally Posted by jsq789 View Post
A couple of questions..
Can this leaking gasket cause a wind sucking noise under the hood ?
Where can I find this kit to fix it ?
Does the wind noise sound almost like a turbo whistle when at low rpms?
dapepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 360 Magnum
I willing to bet that the sucking noise yall are complaining of is the lack of a gasket between the air filter housing and the throttle body.

One more note for the plenum. If your on a budget you can do what many have done and reuse the stock plenum plate and shorten the bolts by a 1/4". While I had mine off I pulled all the lifters and cleaned them out really well as well as the pushrods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk now Free
quadcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1997
Engine: magnum 5.9
Hi I am new to this forum and I have just bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500. The engine drinks about 1qt or more within 100 miles. (previous owner did not tell me) I took it to a shop and asked for a compression/diagnostic test to be performed on the engine. They did not do one and said they jacked it up walked under it and there were no leaks so it must be the rings and said I need a new motor and quoted me one for 2200$ motor+labor total. The only smoke that comes out of my truck is when I first start it and get going then its fine afterward. There is no noise or anything. It runs fine. I am going to take it to a 2nd shop for a 2nd opinion. I hope it is just the plenum gasket.

Edit: motor has 136k miles on it
flatlinedisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
Being that the engine only has 136k on it, unless it was either A) beat hard its entire life or B) it's not the original engine for what ever reason, the rings are not gone. You likely have a plenum problem at that age with MAYBE some valve guide seals.
WarrenRam likes this.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
Being that the engine only has 136k on it, unless it was either A) beat hard its entire life or B) it's not the original engine for what ever reason, the rings are not gone. You likely have a plenum problem at that age with MAYBE some valve guide seals.
Thank you for replying. Is there anyway the shop can tell for sure if its the plenum before replacing it? I am not mechanically inclined at all. I am just hoping they will be able to tell before I have them break into it and change it. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Originally Posted by flatlinedisaster View Post
Thank you for replying. Is there anyway the shop can tell for sure if its the plenum before replacing it? I am not mechanically inclined at all. I am just hoping they will be able to tell before I have them break into it and change it. Thanks again!
With the engine going through a large amount of oil like that, you could actually take the throttle body assembly off the engine and look down in there to see oil pooling.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Ram Year: N/A
Engine: N/A
Originally Posted by flatlinedisaster View Post
Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
With the engine going through a large amount of oil like that, you could actually take the throttle body assembly off the engine and look down in there to see oil pooling.
Problem is, with him not being too mechanically inclined they could possibly rip him off with him none the wiser (sounds like they're already trying. I mean really, they simply looked under the truck and announced you needed a new engine??). Do you have a friend or someone you trust that can go through the TB and possibly even do the plenum repair before you drop that kind of coin on a new engine?
dodge dude94 likes this.
WarrenRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

Originally Posted by WarrenRam View Post
Problem is, with him not being too mechanically inclined they could possibly rip him off with him none the wiser (sounds like they're already trying. I mean really, they simply looked under the truck and announced you needed a new engine??). Do you have a friend or someone you trust that can go through the TB and possibly even do the plenum repair before you drop that kind of coin on a new engine?
You are correct. This shop simply put it on a lift walked under it and saw no leaks and said since its drinking 1qt/100 miles that its bad rings and I need a new motor. I was 10 minutes from telling them to buy the new engine and put it in before my brother said I need another opinion. I am not going back to that shop. I am looking for someone local to do this for me now.
WarrenRam likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

Originally Posted by WarrenRam View Post
Brilliant point there, sir.