plug gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linchpin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
hey guys im putting a complete accel ignition system on my truck tonight. plugs,wires,coil,cap, and rotor. the plugs are hotter than OE should they be gapped different??

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hotter or colder plugs does not translate to a more intense spark. Hotter or colder plugs thread in further or out more than stock. It is in reference to heat dissipation. Gap stays the same unless specified by your accel kit.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: CKH

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just run the stock .040. Accel plugs will likely crap out on you soon anyway. Never heard anything good about those plugs. Also, if their heat range is hotter than factory, you're going to ping, badly.

Reactions: CKH
OP
OP
L

linchpin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
so should i just run the plugs i have and just use the wires, cap, rotor, and coil?

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm going to agree with dodge dude and refeicul.

It's never a good idea to run a plug with a hotter heat range than stock. No problems going one heat range colder but the only reason to do that though would be if you gained some serious power by doing some other mods. For example, general rule is for every 100hp you gain, go 1 heat range colder or for every single compression point gained (going from 9:1 compression to 10:1 compression) go 1 heat range colder. If you run a plug that is too hot for your application, they can melt and self destruct, causing big problems.

What do you mean when you say "hotter" plug though? Some think a plug that supposedly makes more or a better spark is "hotter". That isn't the case. Plugs are classified by heat ranges. As long as the Accell plugs are the same heat range as stock, go ahead and run them.

Here are some helpful articles about spark plugs.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/spark_plugs_tips/
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1303_what_factors_affect_spark_plug_heat_range/

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

linchpin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i cant find a heat range on these things. it says its hotter on the box but idk. im just going to stick with the champions i have for my truck and ill use the wires and coil from accel

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What is the plug part number on the box? You can look the heat range up online with the plug part number.

OP
OP
L

linchpin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i tried i cant find it lol part number 0786-4

OP
OP
L

linchpin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
found it! heat range 6. whats stock?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Heat range of 6....ugh. You'll need a cross reference chart because Champion, Autolite and everyone else uses different measures of heat range for their plug part numbers.

The stock Champion heat range is a 12.....RC12LC4 is the exact part number for our trucks as of 1998.

OP
OP
L

linchpin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
well i have some brand new champions for my truck ill try the accels out and if they suck ill swap em back