Potentally dead truck. Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I won't recap my last post which outlined my problems when I went 4 wheeling with my truck.

The problem I'm currently having is no oil pressure. Or more accurately, intermittent oil pressure.

I first tested the gauge, and it was operable.

I then swapped the oil sending unit, which had no effect.

I then dropped the oil pan, replaced the oil pump (with gasket), and cleaned the pickup tube and filter. Put it all back together with a new pan gasket and crossed my fingers. It fired up and after a few seconds the engine got quiet and the pressure read approx 40 psi (where it should be). I let it idle for a while and made sure it wasn't leaking and it was all good.

Then, driving not even a mile up the street back to where I live, the oil pressure died again. Then came up, then died, then came up, then died. Then I parked it in the lot, and turned it off. After a few I started it again and I had pressure. Then I drove back to the Motorpool and again about half a mile away (it's only 1 mile of travel) the gauge freaked out again and died.

What in the heck is going on. Please help I'm tearing my hair out. I don't wanna be bald this young.

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:( no never did find one to use or borrow

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You know you can rent one from a parts house, right? lol

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I asked the local advance and autozones and they both said they didn't have any. I plan on buying one. How ever that's not the important part of this lol

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you are questioning the stock gauge you are best to get a mechanical gauge. most stores usually have them cheap. i picked one up for like $6. the gauge in my 93 started dancing around which made me get a mechanical gauge. you could also possibly check your local harbor freight. they got a triple gauge setup with oil pressure for under $20
Electronic Triple Auto Gauge Set

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
It very well may be part of, if not the problem. My dad had this Adams problem on his 98 ctd, dust thing we did was add a mechanical gauge and problem solved.

Edit:
As obvious as the smart phone typos are, I think I'll leave them. :word:

Last edited: