Power Loss, CA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoGoGadgetJimbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
First Post

I've been going through the forum for info on my issue for the last week.

Truck has been fine. Started missing (P0300, p0301-307).

Replaced all ignition components (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil). After doing this, the engine only throws a code if i try and floor the engine. Only throws P0300-P0307.

Engine, once warm revs up quick to 3,000-3,500 rpms, but tops out there. Cold, doesn't seem to have as much of an issue, but seems a bit sluggish. No miss that i can hear on idle.

All around the engine seems to have no power.

Limited tests I've done (I'm broke until next week)

Injectors show 12.5K ohms across connector tabs.
No arcing sparks to block
No vacuum leaks i can find.

Other random info:
No vacuum leaks
Passenger side valve cover shows no vacuum (finger test)
Drivers side valve cover shows vacuum
Peering in the throttle body, intake looks pretty clean
Plugs come out clean
I haven't done a compression test yet, I know someone will ask

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'll be that somebody....comp test.

Also verify the wires aren't crossing, I'll find the link for the tsb about it and post it.

Copper plugs only.

High idle is more than likely a tps issue, just fought that myself. Don't get the cheap parts store brands, lifetime warranty or piece from dodge themselves (that's like $200 though so you decide there, i went with $70 lifetime warranty myself).

Plenum gasket if it hasn't been done.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Engine, once warm revs up quick to 3,000-3,500 rpms, but tops out there.

Plugged catalytic converter.

I agree with Pepper regarding your misfiring woes. Does the engine use a lot of oil? I was going through a half quart a week when my plenum gasket was shot and heavy throttle caused such bad misfiring that the CEL would start flashing.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Plugged catalytic converter.

I agree with Pepper regarding your misfiring woes. Does the engine use a lot of oil? I was going through a half quart a week when my plenum gasket was shot and heavy throttle caused such bad misfiring that the CEL would start flashing.

Plugged cat if op is doing the revving rather than the truck doing it automatically. That could've been taken either way

OP
OP
G

GoGoGadgetJimbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Sorry. I'm revving the engine myself in this instance. Engine uses about a quart every 2K miles.

I haven't done any further testing as the Wife had us away at a friends wedding. I'm gonna have her take me to work tomorrow, so the truck will be nice and cool to pull spark plugs for a comp test. I want to rule out the worst case scenario first.

Side note; Catalyst temperatures. My CAT is showing same temp on inlet and outlet. The CAT going out would be a big old bummer, as I'm in CA. Would you guys recommend going to a smog shop to see if it running real dirty? That might be the cheapest method for testing it...

I went and tapped on it with a mallet, and didn't get any rattling, but my exhaust has some pretty interesting and loud rattles already (it has the stock exhaust though).

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I went and tapped on it with a mallet, and didn't get any rattling, but my exhaust has some pretty interesting and loud rattles already (it has the stock exhaust though).
you won't hear anything if the cat is clogged. if you got a o2 sensor socket you can pull the front o2 sensor and see if it will run past the 3-3500rpm that your engine won't go past.

if you do a compression test and see some low numbers make sure to also do a wet compression test to see where your loosing your compression

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1 to unplugging front 02 and seeing how it responds. If you bang on it pretty good with a rubber mallet whole it's cold can knock quite a bit of **** loose to at least get you by for a short bit

OP
OP
G

GoGoGadgetJimbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Thanks Guys. Gonna pull the o2 sensor tomorrow AM. If the Cat is bad, ill just punch its innards out for now, since a CA legal cat is twice as expensive, and is supposed to be welded in by a pro. Stupid CA.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
In California you have to buy a cat from Dodge. You can't but aftermarket. Are you in a county that you have to test every two years?

SaberSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad news for you my CA neighbor.... That California truck has not one, not two, but three cats! You have one left and one right, and you have one before the muffler. You have to have it installed by a licensed tech and yes, it's expensive.