Programmer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yakslaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm currently having a rebuilt 5.9 magnum put in my 2002 2500 4x4. I'm having some Pacesetter shorty headers installed at the same time. I have the stock exhaust with a flowmaster clone and hollowed out cat. I also have a Volant cold air box with the "scoop" to install when I pick it up.

I am seriously thinking about going ahead and completing the trifecta with a programmer. With a limited amount of research I am stumped. I've heard/read that a programmer on top of exhaust/intakes will run lean. Do I need a custom tune?

If not I know my truck is older does not need all the hoopla the newest touch screen programmers can do. So i've tracked down 2 older Superchips programmers on eBay.

Superchips 3815 Flashpaq 98 08 Dodge RAM Dakota Durango Jeep Commander Unlocked | eBay

Thoughts/Ideas? Will these work/be beneficial?

Thanks!

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No, a programmer will not make it run lean with intake and exhaust. That is exactly what I have. My superchips makes a noticeable difference. A custom tune with an SCT will be better. That's what I plan on doing. But I've never heard or read of a truck running learn from a programmer, intake and exhaust. That's what like 80% of trucks have lol

OP
OP
yakslaks

yakslaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
With a little more searching and reading I have come to the same conclusion. I just hope no one else buys it now.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Won't run lean unless it's a custom tune TO run lean which idk anybody that would do that. Don't need a custom tune with an sct either. However, if you plan on building the engine i do recommend sct but simply going with a canned tune. If no building, i recommend edge, tunes are better and you get the fancy display with monitors such as trans temp (important btw). Superchips does an ok job by eliminating death flash and slight advance of timing but it's not worth more than 1-150 in my opinion.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah I always forget the sct comes with canned tunes.. lol. I only think of it for custom tunes. But yeah he's pretty much right ^