Pros and cons of glasspacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I just put a new full factory exhaust on my ram to just start fresh since a previous owner hacked on an old cherry bomb. I'm looking to get a performance muffler or glasspacks again for it since I don't like how quiet it is now... Anyways what will I gain and lose with a glasspacks or a super 40? I need sound and effectiveness since it's my daily driver

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Glasspacks
Cons: sounds like ****, rust out quickly, cheap quality, sounds like ****
Pros: cheap

Flowmaster 40
Cons: sounds like **** and every other truck out there
Pros: none

Carven
Cons: price (comparable to most magnaflows and Flowmasters but with the benefit of stainless steel like MagnaFlow but better sound)
Pros: quality construction, has an option for aggressive or mildly aggressive, very unique sound that nobody else really has, doesn't sound like ****, ***** every time you start it

Actual power numbers will be pretty much exactly the same for any "performance" muffler

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Glasspacks
Cons: sounds like ****, rust out quickly, cheap quality, sounds like ****
Pros: cheap

Flowmaster 40
Cons: sounds like **** and every other truck out there
Pros: none

Carven
Cons: price (comparable to most magnaflows and Flowmasters but with the benefit of stainless steel like MagnaFlow but better sound)
Pros: quality construction, has an option for aggressive or mildly aggressive, very unique sound that nobody else really has, doesn't sound like ****, ***** every time you start it

Actual power numbers will be pretty much exactly the same for any "performance" muffler
Idk what glasspack I had but it didn't sound horrible, never really looked into carven but I will now haha

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I think glasspacks sound kickass. And they're cheap, but don't expect them to last long.

The only thing that I don't like about glasspacks is the vehicle sounds like it's moving a lot faster than it actually is, not unlike ricers with their fart cannons. Of course, every truck around here that has them is running twin pipes so no off-the-line torque!

I've currently got a Cherry Bomb Extreme which isn't a glasspack but is as "open" as a muffler can be.

There are a fair few second gens around here and I would say that mine has the same "tone" as them but just has more "volume."

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
18+inch long glass packs don't sound bad with a full exhaust.

I personally like my Magnaflow. Peppy likes his Carven. Both are straight through.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
:superhack:Just poke holes in your muffler and you have what glasspacks sound like.