Pull engine to upgrade intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I've got a '98 2500 with 5.9L V8 Gas engine. I've bought the kit to fix the intake manifold gasket issue, and all the parts for the other things to do while I'm in there. (Timing chain, water pump, thermostat, etc.) I own a 2 ton engine puller and an engine stand, but have never pulled a Ram engine.

If pulling the engine is relatively simple and easy (like it was with '80s trucks), I figure that it would save time and frustration to pull the engine and do the work comfortably on the engine stand. OTOH, if removing the engine is more painful than making the repairs in the engine bay, I can do that as well.

One minor item: the truck has a 4" lift kit, and even being 6'2", it's pretty uncomfortable to work in the engine bay. (Often jumping up and balancing my belly on the fender while reaching down into the compartment with my feet off the ground)
Additionally, I don't know if I'll have clearance issues lifting it out.

Anyone have enough experience to guess which way would be easier? (I'd slightly prefer pulling the engine, because it's far easier to inspect that everything is back together correctly if it's out of the truck. But in the end, I'm lazy and would do it in the bay if pulling the engine was going to take 6+ hours more than keeping it mounted.

Also, any advice from the trenches on either pulling the engine or upgrading the intake on the surrounding parts is quite welcomed. Especially any rough time estimates.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
No need to pull the engine. I,m tall like you, take the rad and shrould out. Then you can stand in front of the engine to do the job.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its pretty easy to replace inside the engine bay. Just pull the radiator and radiator crossmember and sit on the bumper with your legs resting on the frame rails either side of the engine. Thats what I did when I was finishing up on my engine swap and putting the intake back on once the engine was in.

As far as pulling the engine, its pretty easy to do, about as easy as chevys from the 80s plus some extra wires for stuff. I'd recommend just doing it in the truck, no need to pull the engine unless you're doing other work. If you did pull the engine, you might as well pull the transmission with it (its easier to pull the engine and trans as one unit then supporting the trans an unbolting it in the trans tunnel).

But if you want to do trans work or other engine work, might as well pull it, but itll be easier to pull if you remove the intake first :roflsquared: