Quick question on engine mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpearson

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 RAM 2500
Engine
5.9 Gas
Good evening,

Well after doing a crap ton of reading on mr google and here, my questions still hadn't been answered. I have recently become the new owner of a set of magnum heads from a 2001 5.9. And for the best possible price yet too....

The questions are

will they fit on a 1996 magnum 5.9?
Since it's going for a hot tank bath and crack check. Assuming it passes; If I upgrade from the stock rockers to 1.7's, will I have to upgrade to different push rods? The springs and valves are being replaced already.

I'm not currently planning to go too deeply in the rebuild. I just want to slightly over build the engine to what I would need for those "just incase rapid speed/torque needs". Transmission and remaining drive line to follow...

It's getting to be sad since I see my ram daily sitting on the sidelines and looking depressed, while I have to drive my beater explorer until I get the whole deal figured out.

Any help/info/links to info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm not 100%, but I believe that one only needs to swap pushrods if one uses adjustable rockers and one only needs adjustable rockers if one's camshaft lift reaches a certain point.

Harland Sharp's 1.7 rollers for our engines are non-adjustable, so they shouldn't cause any problems/complications with a factory cam. I'm not sure of their limitations though.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Harland Sharp pedestal mounts are direct swap and need nothing else. Good until you start playing with big cams

OP
OP
K

Kpearson

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 RAM 2500
Engine
5.9 Gas
Nice! Thanks for the help. Now to get the heads checked and set up

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kpearson

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 RAM 2500
Engine
5.9 Gas
One more quick question. Would I have to "modify" the valve covers for the 1.7? I have read that some have needed to mash the baffles

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk