Ram 5.2 shoes overheating on temp gauge help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonwalden68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a 98 dodge ram 5.2 4x4 im the guy I got it from drive an hour to meet so I could buy it got it home I towed it back because I didn't have no one go with me to get I went outside to crank it and within 3-4 minutes it went straight to temperature handle on gauge maxed out and check gauge came on I turned it off checked for leaks no coolant leak and radiator full of coolant I felt too hose still soft and mostly cool bottom hose was a little warmer but not didn't feel hot enough to overheat. Let it sit a few mins still stuck on max temp looks like the previous owner just put on a new clutch fan and water pump doesn't look very old any ideas what it could be or were to start just don't want to run it hot? Please help I wait a little while like 4 hours went out to look it at again right when you first crank it the temp gauge doesn't stay on cold goes right up to 140-150 on gauge then within 5-6 mins it will be overheating according to gauge but radiator and top hose are not that hot bottom hose is a little warmer any help be great

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
You could have a thermostat that is not opening properly. Usually the top hose gets hotter because this is the one that carries the coolant from the block to the radiator. I'd start there, new thermostat is a cheap fix (or if you're like me, just remove it altogether so it will always circulate and run nice & cool) You might also want to verify that the cooling system is free of air bubbles. I have heard several gen 2 ram owners talk about air in the cooling system causing the vehicle to run hot, although I have never had this problem myself, probably because my coolant circulates constantly with no thermostat.
Dave

OP
OP
jonwalden68

jonwalden68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just don't understand why the temp gauge doesn't start off at cold but instead starts at 130-150 degrees

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The temp gauge needle should be at the bottom of the gauge when the truck is started, if it's cold and you turn the key on and the needle jumps up at all you have a bad or wrong temp sending unit or a short somewhere.

OP
OP
jonwalden68

jonwalden68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm hoping it's that it was showing it maxed out overheating after only 5 mins I just don't see it getting that hot

OP
OP
jonwalden68

jonwalden68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I let it sit for 24 hours and the gauge actually does start off on cold but within the minute it's moving up kind of stumped