Ram Dying at Lower RPMs HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanmaynard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 97 ram sport 5.9 that has a dying problem. At higher Rpms such as from a stand still and on the highway it runs fine. Also runs fine at idle. However, when in stop and go traffic or with any slight rev, the rpms drop and it dies. I've been told this could be an IAC problem, but not sure. Like I said if I keep the Rpms up over 1600 or so it runs, or at idle. HELP.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Any codes showing? It could be the IAC, it could also be the throttle position sensor.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I would suspect the IAC is moving slowly or getting stuck. Pull the brake booster and see if the problem persists, if it stops I would replace the IAC. If not, check the TPS.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would suspect the IAC is moving slowly or getting stuck. Pull the brake booster and see if the problem persists, if it stops I would replace the IAC. If not, check the TPS.

Runs fine at idle. I wouldn't pull the brake booster then as it's a driving problem

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Runs fine at idle. I wouldn't pull the brake booster then as it's a driving problem

Right, but it dies after giving it some gas, meaning the IAC might be sluggish, unless ours work different than the chevy versions. Awhile ago my dad's suburban had a very similar problem. It would start and idle fine unless he hit the gas for a bit of a tap then let it come down or in stop and go traffic it would also drop rpms and nearly die.

His IAC was gunked up and adjusting slowly. In the early to mid 2000's chevy's the IAC closes under accel and opens only when the throttle is released.

Replacing his IAC fixed the problem entirely, I did nothing else to the engine.

Unless he means giving it gas causes it to stall, then thats a different problem.

OP
OP
N

Nathanmaynard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck does not stall at any Rpms, just below around 1600. Sometimes it's fine at lower Rpms, but most of the time it's wanting to die every time. It died three times in stop and go traffic while I was driving to go eat. This is what makes me suspect it's a gunked up IAC

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The truck does not stall at any Rpms, just below around 1600. Sometimes it's fine at lower Rpms, but most of the time it's wanting to die every time. It died three times in stop and go traffic while I was driving to go eat. This is what makes me suspect it's a gunked up IAC

Well since you seem to already know what the problem is, you don't need our input.
So :flipthebird:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Only thing I can add to this thread is... Air filter? TPS? Stickey IAC possible but only sometimes?

OP
OP
N

Nathanmaynard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well since you seem to already know what the problem is, you don't need our input.
So :flipthebird:

I am allowed to suspect it's something, but having different input is always helpful from anyone. Thanks for the huge amount of help you provided. Ha.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Let us know how it goes if you're replacing the iac. Feedback is always good.

Above im sure he was joking. This forum tends to stay pretty respectful. Hard to say sometimes though, we're a special bunch

OP
OP
N

Nathanmaynard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: Fixed

The problem was indeed a gunky IAC. Swapped it for a new one which took about 7 minutes and costs $29. Idles great now and no dying more importantly. Thanks everyone!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thx for posting up the outcome. Many don't and that gets annoying sometimes. Really appreciate it bud :)