Random Misfire,Misefire 4, Ign Coil Malfunction, bad o2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SparkyOne23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1996 Ram 1500
3.9l 5 speed manual
265k on odometer, motor swapped at 185k with junkyard motor

Symptoms:
Truck often stalls when cold, slow to start again, pulled plug after it had stalled and the spark plug had fuel on it. seems to stall most often when cold out, and almost exclusively when shifting between reverse and first. Sometimes upon acceleration the truck will jerk like I had slammed the brakes on, and the speedometer will jump wildly for a few minutes. The check engine light came on today and I had Oreillys scan it for me. The coil malfunction and the bad o2 sensor are from this time, the misfire codes were from a few weeks ago(no MIL at that time) Fuel pressure gauge shows around 50lbs. I let the truck get below 1/8 of a tank this week and it began backfiring, stalling and acting up badly. Adding $20 to the tank stopped those problems.

Repair attempts:
Replaced Plugs and wires
Replaced distributor cap
Replaced rotor
ran sea foam through gas tank

I can not see how this truck would suddenly spit these codes out unless there was a common cause for all of them. On a good day the truck runs great. I am attempting to use this truck for a daily driver with a commute of around 12 miles round trip, with occasional weekend trips of around 60 miles round trip. I have noticed also that fuel economy is not where I would think it should be but I just attributed that to all the short trips.

My question is could all of the problems be brought on by bad fuel? I know bad fuel can cause a misfire, which can coat the 02 sensor but I don't see how it could harm the coil. However I can understand how a coil malfunction could cause a misfire which would in turn cause the 02 sensor issue. Or am I just grasping at straws on a vehicle which probably has a bad pcm?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963