Random p0331 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I get a random p0331 code every now and then. I clear it with my sct tuner and it will be off for a few months, then i pops up.

Code reads as a knock sensor, however truck doesnt knock or ping at all.

Any idea from you guys what i should look for? its so random that i dont worry about it much

99% of the time when it comes on is when the truck is at idle for extended periods of time (10 min or so)

I did a spark plug change with ngk plugs last year, wires are probably 5-7 years old.

Maybe time to replace the wires?

Always run mobil 93 octane or shell 93

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Likely going to be something in the tune. As you said yourself, these things don't have knock sensors. I would consult your tuner about it

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Check your wire routing? Check for spark crossover between wires.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Ill probably just order and replace all my spark plug wires. I have a good idea that they are the issue.

I went to check my plugs and found some things that didnt seem right with the old wires

Ill search rock auto for some quality 7mm wires and try that

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Personal suggestion for cheap but still pretty good wires would fall to Taylor or Summit 8mm

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Personal suggestion for cheap but still pretty good wires would fall to Taylor or Summit 8mm

Ill keep that in mind. I like rock auto alot tho. The parts are always good quality, prices are really good and shipping is always fast.

Years and years of flawless purchases thru rock auto keeps me coming back, but i havent had a chance to look at what they carry as far as plug wires for my truck

Ill check them out and taylor/summit wires

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
An update for you all

last week i ordered some summit racing brand 8mm plug wires for my truck

I installed them friday afternoon.

Truck runs quite a bit smoother. I found 3 bad plug wires from the old set. 2 were cracked and one had the metal come loose around the spark plug.

I drove the truck quite a bit on saturday, runs great and very smooth. Starts quicker and seems to run better @ 55 mph than before

Time will tell if that fixed my p0331 code, but so far this was a nice, cheap upgrade!

I would highly recommend the summit racing brand 8mm wires for out trucks/jeeps

Go with the red wires, they are good for a extra 28HP LOL