Random Shutdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HI All,
99 Ram 1500, 5.9 Magnum, Stock
New plenum, high volume oil pump, timing change, transmission, full tune up all in the last 10,000 miles. I'm sure there is other stuff, just can't remember.

Randomly, this truck just shuts down. No code stored, current or pending.

Cannot predict when, only that it will be farthest from my house...except for the last time, which was as I driving into the the driveway.

It starts right up when it runs (purrs actually, though I noticed a tiny miss today when I pulled it into the shop, this goes completely away when gas is added) which is 95% of the time, I just can't trust it.

I noticed, when I turn the key off, it "puffs" back through the throttle body (I believe), certainly somewhere under the hood.

There was one time when the odometer read "no buss" during one of these conditions.

I hope this description helps. The truck runs great and is very sound except for this gremlin.

Thanks all and I appreciate any thoughts.
Scott.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Puff through throttle body is usually weak spark or fuel scheduling. Considering the no bus reading I'd swap in a new pcm. If it doesn't fix the problem return it

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Check all your wires at the PCM. One of the wires could be too tight pulling the pin away from the connector, or a wire could be frayed. I would also make sure grounds are good.

Justino689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum 360
I am having the same problem with my 97 ram 1500 5.9. I haven't figured it out yet. If u find out what happened let me know. I did notice I left my truck over night with battery disconnected to reset pcm. And when I reworked it back up it runs fine for week or so. But does your rpm run super low as you let off the throttle quickly?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I've had this issue on my lowered ram before it was lowered, no bus generally is related to a bad or failing PCM. They have them online, I recommend buying a refurb with warranty. However you can also go to local U pull It as long as same year and same motor. if you have a v8 5.2 make sure you get the v8 5.2 if you have a v8 5.9 get that one or you will run into issues with fuel.

Renardk764

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Had this issue a couple of days ago. Intermittent short in wiring harness from the PCM. Got lucky and found it by accident. It was where the harness was sitting on the aftermarket nut holding the CAI air hat to the throttle body

Justino689

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum 360
figured out what was wrong with it awhile ago. forgot to post it. it ended up being bad positive connection to the battery. were strands of wire not touching the terminal.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I fixed a random shutdown issue i was having after pulling the motor to replace the freeze plugs in the rear.

My issue turned out to be the ASD relay. I would get random stalls and hick ups here and there, no code, no nothing. I swapped the AC relay and the ASD relay and it has not had a single issue going on 1000 miles after the swap.

Edit, didnt read the fix. Doh!!!