really stupid question about fuel system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clueless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 bighorn 5.7 hemi
Engine
5.7 hemi
got a 2007 hemi 1500,does this thing have a fuel filter or not.parts stores shows none.also i pulled the codes on a solus scanner,shows wrong oil used in engine.. is this possible.am using 15w40 oil in it..

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the 07, but pretty much all modern FI vehicles, the filter is in the gas tank, connected to the pump.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
got a 2007 hemi 1500,does this thing have a fuel filter or not.parts stores shows none.also i pulled the codes on a solus scanner,shows wrong oil used in engine.. is this possible.am using 15w40 oil in it..[/QUOTE]
[/B]

The filter is built into the pump so it's really not feasible to replace just the filter. Also, the oil weight your using is WAY to thick for your engine, get that molasses out of that engine and put 5/30 full synthetic or serious damage can happen because the oil pump will be struggling to move that heavy oil, most ppl with the hemi go for pup,rl,aoss,m1, with a synthetic filter, farm ultra, k&n, wix, rp, etc. gl bud.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
@clueless, check out the synthetic thread, ****loads of info from some very intelligent ppl. Specifically read burla's posts, he's one of a few that really know what's up with oil selection. Jmho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clueless

clueless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 bighorn 5.7 hemi
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks.. this thing has 258,000 on it.i put 15w40 delvac in it.. has fantastic oil pressure cold and warm at idle.. winter is coming.. might put 5w20 in it..

sorry its in the wrong section.was a little tired when i posted it

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Oil pressure isn't everything, its largely the last part of the process. Everything else determines oil pressure, its a passive value not an active value, thats why we measure it, because everything affects it.

Its been said over and over, but its important not to forget. You do not create pressure you create flow. Try to compress a spring lying on a table with one finger by pushing it sideways, it'll never happen it'll slide away. fluids are the same, just pressing on a fluid will only cause it to move, push harder and you can move more fluid faster. You can only create pressure by creating a restriction. Use your other hand to hold the spring while you push and now it compresses.

Applying that to oil, the thicker the oil the more resistance to movement the oil itself has, so the higher the resulting pressure, as largely the pump will try to move the same volume. The goal with oil is to make it as thin as possible while still being able to coat the parts. The thinner the oil the more can be moved through a given space in a set time frame, meaning higher cooling, better high rpm protection, faster debris removal, etc. Thats a huge part of why synthetic oils are so much better than conventional oils (additive packages aside as thats an hour long discussion on its own) owing to a term called shear factor/stability. The better the shear factor the better the oil handles under load (oil loading not engine loading).

When the engine was new, the factory weight oil created a set pressure, usually 60psi. If now using factory weight oil you're getting a lower pressure, the solution isn't to put a heavier weight oil in it. Since the pump volume capacity is the same (as long as it isn't failing) along with the weight of oil, the only other thing left is restriction to flow, that must have reduced. Which usually indicates wear, when you have excess wear the last thing you want to do is reduce flow by increasing oil weight as now that part has less oil to protect it. If you're pressure stinks, switching to a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil will help keep lubrication and cooling up while under low pressure situations, often times you can go one weight of oil higher without issue though. From 5W30 to 5W40 is common in older chevys that have horrible bearing clearance.

TL;DR Do Not put that 15W40 in it, thats way too thick when cold for the engine, you're starving it for lubrication when its most important. 5Wxx is the only oil you should be using in that new of an engine. 5W40 is fine if you want the extra thickness or if you're in a warmer climate, but 5W30 is fine for 90% of the applications out there.

OP
OP
clueless

clueless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 bighorn 5.7 hemi
Engine
5.7 hemi
it had good oil presssure when i bought it. i changed the oil shortly after buying it,and oil pressure stayed the same on the gauge. not sure what weight was in t when i got it. the oil i used was oil we used for thermoking precedent refer units,so i think it was 15w40. i usually use that in the first oil change,due to the high detergent qualities of diesel oil, after i buy something to flush out the sludge and varnishes that might be in it.changed it to 5w30 synthetic today.there was no tick or knock in this when i got it.sounds good and tight. only problems are the egr position and bank1 sensor 1 o2 sensor code.going to do the plugs soon.