Rear Axle upgrade to Min. Slip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joec5709

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Just got a ram 2001 5.9 4x4 gasser a week ago and have been working on it none stop since previous owner never really took care of it... after doing a lot of engine work and body work Im looking at upgrading the rear axle to a minimum slip diff... I have a stock 1 wheel wonder diff in now but I was wondering if anyone has upgraded theirs. Im going to use this for plowing and would like to have both rears moving. Has anyone done an upgrade? Do they sell kits? How much would it cost? pros. cons. ? Thanks!

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Everywhere I've read about the Limited Slip recommends a Detroit TruTrac. They are expensive, but they are definitely built well. They are a clutchless design, so you will never need to go back in to replace the clutch packs.

For clutch driven LSDs you have Auburn gear, Yukon, Motive, and Dana/Spicer. Dana/Spicer is what comes stock on truck equipped with an LSD from the factory. It is your cheapest option overall, but also the most well known to fail (broken clutch retainers from heat/cool cycles). Auburn has a pretty good rep, I think. Don't hear too much about the Motive or Yukon Limited Slip unit. Those are your mid range options. These will need to be serviced after a while to replace worn clutches.

All these options range from about $300-$600.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have an Auburn Gear limited slip diff. It's about 12 years old now and works great. I paid just over $600 when I bought it and it was about $1200 total because I had 4.10 gears installed front and rear at the same time.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Anything detroit makes is gonna be a decent product, not sure how much the tru-trac costs, but if its around 600, might as well go full hog for the detroit locker, their new design (10+ years old now) won't lockup on pavement when taking turns, so you won't skip, but will always lock up when one wheel is slipping.