Rebuild 5.9L v8 or swap it?

Which engine to swap into a 2002 Ram 2500?

• Rebuild 5.9L v8 back to drop

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Drop in a diesel!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • v-10's are beastly!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 383 big block!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
I love the v10 in mine. It would be the simplest swap. All I think you would need would be a harness, computer and a bell housing from another v10 or from a diesel. Gas mileage will suck though.

I love 383's though.. It would certainly be cool to see one in one of these trucks. I've read of plenty of people putting NV4500's behind 440's and others in trucks so finding a bell shouldn't be too difficult. Would you try to fit the fuel injection on it or run it carbureted? A carb would obviously be the easiest but fuel injection would be cooler and might help with mileage. I've seen 383's in heavy B and E bodies achieve 20+ miles to the gallon, so it might not even be that big of a pig in a truck.

If you want simplicity, v10. If you want to be different, 383.

I picked up the v10 that I put in mine for $450 with 97k miles on it. You can find them cheap if you look around. I know of a yard relatively local to me that has a v10 truck that the motor supposedly locked up on and it had a 4500 behind it. I think he may have sold the trans, but he might still have the bell and he'd have the wiring and anything else you would need.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock for stock the v10 makes better power for such things. Also, no boost lag, more rpm, slightly less weight. The cummins is heavy af, can't rev, slow in comparison. Yes makes great tq but so does the v10. Hell my v8 makes great tq and has shown many lifted diesels that my stock height v8 is more capable in mud. V10 is much more versatile in a mudding/offroad scenario. I'll even go as far as saying choosing something like a 6bt for a mud toy is downright stupid unless you're running **** like 10ft tractor tires
You have never been around built diesels then. There is no comparasion between the two. Mudding or racing. No such thing as turbo lag when built right. Maybe 400hp from built v10, compared to 800-1000hp from a diesel. 200lbs weight means nothing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Triple Black

Triple Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I love the v10 in mine. It would be the simplest swap. All I think you would need would be a harness, computer and a bell housing from another v10 or from a diesel. Gas mileage will suck though.

I love 383's though.. It would certainly be cool to see one in one of these trucks. I've read of plenty of people putting NV4500's behind 440's and others in trucks so finding a bell shouldn't be too difficult. Would you try to fit the fuel injection on it or run it carbureted? A carb would obviously be the easiest but fuel injection would be cooler and might help with mileage. I've seen 383's in heavy B and E bodies achieve 20+ miles to the gallon, so it might not even be that big of a pig in a truck.

I picked up the v10 that I put in mine for $450 with 97k miles on it. You can find them cheap if you look around. I know of a yard relatively local to me that has a v10 truck that the motor supposedly locked up on and it had a 4500 behind it. I think he may have sold the trans, but he might still have the bell and he'd have the wiring and anything else you would need.

I made up my mind: I'm swapping out the 5.9L for a V-10

It's just a cool sounding engine. The V-10 would provide adequate performance without pouring a ton of money into like the 5.9L, or being an over complex swap like the diesel or a Mopar big block.

I'm going to start on it in March or April, after I complete my '73 Charger.

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Sounds like a good choice. You won't be disappointed with the performance.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You have never been around built diesels then. There is no comparasion between the two. Mudding or racing. No such thing as turbo lag when built right. Maybe 400hp from built v10, compared to 800-1000hp from a diesel. 200lbs weight means nothing.

Come to western iowa/eastern Nebraska...they're everywhere. Everybody and their brother is a farmer making 300k+/year and using their trucks as write-offs.

Here's the thing. Stock for stock, v10 makes 10 lb/ft less, weighs 400lbs less, and will be a much simpler swap. Factory trucks do a have a slight amount of lag, not a ton, but some. Now, an 800hp truck, is going to take some spooling. You won't make 800hp without more air which means more turbos or bigger turbos. Either way, to get that kind of cfm, you need at least 1 big turbo. Also, significant fuel modifications. cha-ching....cha-ching...cha-ching...get the idea? V10 would be much more cost efficient and can make nearly 500wtq with the modifications I listed earlier. And considering the OP is talking about not wanting to spend the money to rebuild the v8 because cost, going diesel just doesn't make sense.

You can't make the kind of power you're talking about with instant spooling. It's just not going to happen. The turbos that are small enough to not experience any lag can't push capable cfm. Turbos that are big enough cant get away from some lag.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9

The OP has a budget so getting even 500hp out of a 24v requires a new lift pump, injectors, and turbo which puts you around $3k, so if the OP can afford a 800-1Khp diesel he can afford a 1500hp V10. . .

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Come to western iowa/eastern Nebraska...they're everywhere. Everybody and their brother is a farmer making 300k+/year and using their trucks as write-offs.

Here's the thing. Stock for stock, v10 makes 10 lb/ft less, weighs 400lbs less, and will be a much simpler swap. Factory trucks do a have a slight amount of lag, not a ton, but some. Now, an 800hp truck, is going to take some spooling. You won't make 800hp without more air which means more turbos or bigger turbos. Either way, to get that kind of cfm, you need at least 1 big turbo. Also, significant fuel modifications. cha-ching....cha-ching...cha-ching...get the idea? V10 would be much more cost efficient and can make nearly 500wtq with the modifications I listed earlier. And considering the OP is talking about not wanting to spend the money to rebuild the v8 because cost, going diesel just doesn't make sense.

You can't make the kind of power you're talking about with instant spooling. It's just not going to happen. The turbos that are small enough to not experience any lag can't push capable cfm. Turbos that are big enough cant get away from some lag.
Oh I know about building them. I am from that same area. But, I did it without the farming money![emoji16]

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The OP has a budget so getting even 500hp out of a 24v requires a new lift pump, injectors, and turbo which puts you around $3k, so if the OP can afford a 800-1Khp diesel he can afford a 1500hp V10. . .

Budget yes but 1500hp v10 idk about lol. One of these would take massive boost and vipers are $$$

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6

The NV4500HD in V10s and diesels is different from the NV4500LD used in V8 trucks.

NV4500s are fragile anyways and are destroyed easily by big trailers and high hp. Downgrading the shaft size is a big no-no

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The NV4500HD in V10s and diesels is different from the NV4500LD used in V8 trucks.

NV4500s are fragile anyways and are destroyed easily by big trailers and high hp. Downgrading the shaft size is a big no-no

They're the strongest trans dodge has used to date. Yeah the 47/8 REs get crazy with the right parts but an nv4500 will hold 600whp reliably with a good clutch

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6
They're the strongest trans dodge has used to date. Yeah the 47/8 REs get crazy with the right parts but an nv4500 will hold 600whp reliably with a good clutch

No they aren't NV is out of business so sourcing good parts is near impossible.
47/48 RE/RHs can be built to hold well over 1,000ft-lbs with locked shifts
As for the NV4500
Fast shifting a high torque engine will break the cluster gear, strip teeth off gears. Plus 5th gear falls off which is annoying

Its a good transmission, but it won't live behind a bomb'd Cummins

It will probably work ok in gas engines running 1/2 the tq